Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant Female....with neutered male?!?!?!?!?!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 09 2016
08:54:55 AM
Alright....

So I picked up my female and my neutered male from separate homes in November of last year. They have been together since December. I don't handle the female too much as she is not as social as my male and usually when I play with them, its in a dark room that is brightened with Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling.

Well today I decided to take both of them to work with me, I usually only take the male.

That's when I picked her up and saw her.... She looks HUGE. I'm positive she is pregnant... I can see the lumps move. I am horrified. I want nothing to do with Joeys... nothing. I have 4 gliders (2 are in a separate cage across the room from her cage and they do not interact).... I was considering downsizing to only 2 gliders because I've honestly overwhelmed myself with animals right now. We've got 4 dogs, 2 cats, the gliders and a 100 gallon saltwater tank...its a bit much.

Anyway... HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?! I do have one intact male but he's in the other cage across the room with a neutered male. They have never been in contact.

How does this happen?!?!?! Can it happen again??

Thanks in advance, I'm going to go shove my nose in some joey care internet searches
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 09 2016
11:38:39 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Actually, that's not unheard of.
Female gliders, like many other marsupials, have the ability to "freeze" the development of joeys for several months or even years, so your female probably already had the joeys when you got her and she just let them developpe now because she consideres the conditions are right.

Edited by - sjusovare on Aug 09 2016 11:39:33 AM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 09 2016
12:53:00 PM
Crimson57 Starting Member 3 Posts
She was in bad conditions when I got her... a diet of "fruits and nuts". I just wish she talked to me before making the decision to have babies. Thanks for letting me know
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 09 2016
02:55:54 PM
Crimson57 Starting Member 3 Posts
She was in bad conditions when I got her... a diet of "fruits and nuts". I just wish she talked to me before making the decision to have babies. Thanks for letting me know
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 09 2016
08:20:45 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's very common. Females can hold a pregnancy in stasis for up to a year, until conditions are right, better food, she is ready... The risk factor is pretty high for first time parents for joey survival, and if her cage mate isn't Dad the risk is even higher.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/joey-help
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 13 2016
07:41:09 PM
DACCURSO Starting Member 3 Posts
hi, where are u located? I am interested in getting a couple females, email me daniellen5505@gmail.com

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders