Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
dehydrated glider
dehydrated glider
Health related
Aug 09 2016
10:11:30 AM
my glider is currently dehydrated and the vet gave me some powder to b mix wit water n feed him through a syringes. i don think this will work forever n m looking for solution to it. i do not think is cos of the pellet cos he only eat like 2 piece a day, gatorade work at first but now he dun like it, tried apple juice too wit same result. he really like apple so i gave apple sauce to his food to make it more moist, he dun really like it. he dun eat alot of things including worms. use to eat lots of apple n pears but is avoiding it now. really looking for a solution for his diet especially hydration
Health related
Aug 09 2016
12:10:41 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Try melons mine love watermelon and cantelope. Avoid dry foods could also try watering down some honey but I wouldn't give them too much honey water. Every other day or so.
Good luck
Health related
Aug 09 2016
01:35:10 PM
gr8rcfan Glider Visit gr8rcfan's Photo Album USA 80 Posts
What diet are you feeding your glider? Many diets are nectar based, and are supplemented with fresh fruit. Even a pellet diet is heavily supplemented with fresh fruit and the glider get's much of their hydration from the fruit, and may not drink much from the water bottle. The primary reason for Gatorade or Juice in the water was to entice the glider to drink. But if they don't like it, try another flavor or just stick to straight water. Did the Doctor show you how you can check your glider for proper hydration?
Health related
Aug 09 2016
10:04:45 PM
james chin Joey 29 Posts
thanks nyxandbenny, ill try that.
gr8rcfan i give kichona pets pellets, it does not have nectar. also some fruits everyday such as pear an applesauce, he use to love it but now he rarely touch it, veggies r given too. the vet ask me to touch the nose n see if its wet, i did that n also the tent test but is dry and the skin stay up. perhaps a short video on the tent test as i might b doing wrong?
Health related
Aug 09 2016
10:29:14 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
When offering advice, please keep in mind James Chin does NOT live in the United States.

What we have available to us may or may not be available to him. He is feeding his glider with what is currently available to him. We also do not know how knowledgeable vets are there, about glider care and husbandry.

This is a world wide forum, if the diet sounds off or weird to you please ask what country the Op is in before making suggestions on what they should feed or not feed. We have some seriously different standards of living for gliders here in the states than other countries do or have available to them.

I realize every one just wants to help. However, don't be afraid to ask questions before giving advice so you have the bigger picture of what your dealing with and can give educated, helpful advice.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 09 2016 10:31:29 PM
Health related
Aug 10 2016
06:10:58 AM
I tried to research kichona pets pellets, and didn't find anything. It may be generic pet food and may not meet your gliders needs. Try to contact a breeder in your area and ask about a better diet. I'm glad you perform the tent test for dehydration. That test works very well. My gliders don't like applesauce. The also don't like some kinds of apples. But they like other kinds of apples. Try to find a sweet apple, not a sour apple. Also, maybe you have some frozen fruits available, like berries or melon.
Health related
Aug 10 2016
11:53:09 PM
james chin Joey 29 Posts
leela is right, just to b clear i live in malaysia. gr8rcfan, u can check it here www.facebook.com/KichonaPet/, apparently its made in the states. ill try your suggestion. i bought mine from pet shop n he only give apple before this n the glider have protozoa(only realize after a day)
Health related
Aug 11 2016
06:41:50 AM
Thank you for the link to KichonaPet. I sent them an email for more information.

You said your glider has "protozoa"? I know this word and translate it to "parasite". If this is correct, please tell your vet to get medicine.
Health related
Aug 12 2016
12:19:46 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
James I mentioned to a friend of mine that I wasn't able to help you much with diet related stuff, she told me about a group online that has members in your neck of the woods that might help you more than we can on this forum. I don't have a clue if people are active on it but I thought it might be worth lookin at https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/639684/+160
Health related
Aug 13 2016
06:29:38 AM
james chin Joey 29 Posts
gr8rfchan thanks for your help hope to hear from them. already assked and he already cured from it. leela, thanks ill look into it, it really means alot
dehydrated glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
dehydrated glider