Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
leucustic male glider cut under his mouth/jaw area.. help please:(!
Health related
Aug 12 2016
10:24:46 AM
Hi I have a 2 year old leucustic male glider I took him out of his cage last night and noticed a few spots of blood on my hand I checked him over and he has a small slit on the bottom of his chin right under his mouth. It actually looks like there is a small hole going into the bottom of his mouth. His teeth are protruding slightly and always have been. I have never had an issue like this and I'm not sure how it happend. I am very scared for him and unsure what to do. He isn't acting weird or anything. Still eats normal too. Just isn't as active as normal. It was really hard to get pictures but I did the best I could. Please give me opinions on what I should do. I've been recommended to use a special vitamin similar to antibacterial ointment and dab it on his chin. I don't want to do anything without more opinions first. Thanks for taking the time to read my story and reply. 
Matt 

Please see pictures below 

Health related
Aug 12 2016
11:01:21 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I think a vet trip is in order. You don't want that to get infected.
Health related
Aug 12 2016
11:05:06 AM
mattbornn Starting Member Visit mattbornn's Photo Album 5 Posts
@bossihamham thanks for taking time to read my story. I'm really scared for my baby. I have already contacted several vets in my area so I am prepared to bring him in asap. I just wanted to see if there were any opinions from anyone that has dealt with wounds before possibly specifically in the mouth area. How serious is this? Possible problems with teeth based on pictures? Is a bottom row protruding teeth an issue? Thanks for your time and everyone else that reads
Health related
Aug 12 2016
12:28:53 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Definately needs a vet visit, and exrays done on the mouth/teeth. Potential abscess or other dental issues have shifted his teeth the bottom front almost look crisscrossed it's hard to tell if there are 2 bottom front or just one....

the glider community is starting to collect data on specific medical issues, dental is a pretty common issue, especially in gliders 5 yrs and up. Would you be interested in participating in our data collection? This is non judegemental we are just looking for people who have first hand experience, can take pictures throughout the process and answer basic questions about the medical issue. Only people with glider dental issues will be in the dental issue group.
Health related
Aug 12 2016
03:01:09 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I'm not sure, but it looks like one of his long bottom teeth is missing. My sweet Jelly broke one of those teeth, and I didn't know it. I took her to the vet because her tongue was hanging out the side and he told me she broke a tooth and had temporary nerve damage. That was probably a year ago.It turned out not to be temporary, but she is doing fine.
Health related
Aug 12 2016
04:21:44 PM
Sorry for the late reply and thank you everyone that responded. The pictures were hard to take as we all know suggies hate being held. He has his both bottom teeth, probably just looks that way due to angle of pictures. Although his bottom teeth do always protrude. I will try to take better ones when I check on him now. I will be bringing him to the vet asap for examination. I examine my suggies every single day so I'm positive this is a fresh wound.
Health related
Aug 12 2016
04:36:21 PM
Leela I will try my best to document every thing as it happens from this point forward with pictures
Health related
Aug 13 2016
03:37:36 PM
Brought him in to a well reviewed vet that has experience with exotics. His personal opinion is thag the wound has been there for some time. I'm not sure how this is possible. He also said he doesn't feel comfortable sedating him to look further because he believes the bottom teeth are slightly loose. I'm not so sure I feel very comfortable with his opinion as he referred me to another doctor who has more experience with gliders. He did tell me he doesn't beleive this is a medical emergency. Exam cost 60$ plus 10$ for nail trimming. Any opinions on this?
Health related
Aug 13 2016
05:14:57 PM
gr8rcfan Glider Visit gr8rcfan's Photo Album USA 80 Posts
I think your report of experience, honesty and helpfulness (suggesting a better vet) was well worth the charges. You dont need that new vet now, but can use the resource if it's needed.
Health related
Aug 13 2016
05:17:39 PM
gr8rcfan Glider Visit gr8rcfan's Photo Album USA 80 Posts
On second thought. I hear of so many vets giving antibiotics in cases like this, just to be safe. I'd watch carefully for redness and swelling.
Health related
Aug 13 2016
09:02:12 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
If his teeth are loose, he def needs ex-rays, that is a sign of abscess and you may be able to save his teeth. Left unattended his teeth may fall out on their own, and the abscess may remain, infection may spread.

Personally, I would follow the first vets advice and go to a more experienced vet who is confident doing dental procedures.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 13 2016 09:03:34 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders