Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I Have Joeys!!!! Need a little help :)
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 02 2016
07:20:51 PM
Well to start off I feel about like this...

I have three gliders. Two females, one is cinnamon the other is a white face. The male is a regular morph that up until today, thought was neutered.

A friend of a friend had the three for about a 4 months. They never had babies, and he said the male was neutered. Today I learned that is not true. I have two little joeys in my cage OOP. So Im a little unprepared. Usually I spend hundreds of hours researching husbandry breeding and rearing and genetics for my animals. I figured I didnt need to in this instance.

So here are pictures of the two joeys.

Any estimation on how old they are?
Any tips on telling which is the mother? Will they still be nursing at this point?
Is it safe to start bonding a few minutes a day with them?

At this point Im removing all the other nest and lowering this nesting hammock almost to the bottom of the cage and putting a towel under it.

All three of the adults are sharing the nest with the babies and seem to return to them quickly even when presented with treats. What are the chances that they will abandon them at this point? What should I do to prepare if that is the case?

Besides worrying about the risk of falling, Do I need to supplement feed them? Do I need to supplement moms food?

Thanks everyone SUPER EXCITED AND NERVOUS to be a granddad
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 02 2016
10:24:16 PM
Crazy_Glider Joey Visit Crazy_Glider's Photo Album 14 Posts
Wow! Good for you, I think? Ha! This would be something to wake up to. I'm no breeder, I've only read a bit about it. I know you can pet them right off, and usually it's better to handle them while dad's in the pouch and mom's out doing her thing. Shouldn't be too long til you can pick them up in the presence of momma, but I'm sure other people will give you exact details on it.
If they do get rejected, you should make sure to have formula ready and a proper way to keep them warm (I know they have heating pads for joeys).
I'd bet you could tell which is mom just by observing, although some females end up being more paternal than others regardless of which one actually had them.
I know you'll want to leave mom alone during her "not taking care of baby" time, since she doesn't get much of it and could get upset if you handle her. If she doesn't have her own time to keep herself healthy, you risk abandonment.

I don't think there's anything else I know about breeding, but good luck!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 02 2016
11:36:59 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Congratulations! How exciting! They have probably been hiding from you for a while. They have hair and their eyes are already open. Their eyes don't open until a few days OOP, a week to ten days. Probably someone more knowledgeable will tell us exactly.

Yes, you can handle them a bit. They will crab at you, but they need to get used to your smell.

The parents will teach them how to eat solid food when the time is right, they will still be nursing for a while. You can watch to see which girl has joeys trying to poke their heads in her pouch.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 03 2016
10:20:03 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
If Your friend only had the gliders for four months,it is possible that that particular male is not the father. The female has the ability to hold back the pregnancy until conditions are more favorable. So maybe your male is neutered. Check his belly to see if his pom has been removed or deflated.

Just in case,there is a site called Suz's Sugar Gliders that has info and supplies for rejected joeys. I'm sure there is also info on this forum on the gliderpedia page.

Let us know how it is going. I am excited for you!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 05 2016
08:35:15 PM
MzNetta Starting Member 5 Posts
Congratulations I have joeys also. But this us my second time. The first time I think mom was to youn . Or dad was eating them. I have sence then separated mom from the male. And she seems to be doing good with them. Mine are only 5days oop. I have one that keeps climbing out of the pouch. I thought for a moment that the mother was rejecting it. But once I put it back in with Mom it starts nursing again. So I really don't know exactly what to do I am a first time Mom at this. But I have done a lot of research. My first joeys didn't live past 3 days. But this time I'm on day 5. I'm just hoping that they make it through the first 14 to 15 days. If anyone has any advice on what I should do please feel free to let me know.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders