Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar Glider won't get along with the others
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2016
08:57:37 AM
Hello! I am the proud owner of now three sugar gliders. I love them endlessly and I hold them everyday. So I got my first two (male and female) back in February and they were 8 weeks, They're named Roo and Tigger. They both love each other and cuddle and play a lot. Well last week a lady contacted me explaining how they haven't interacted with their four year old glider (male) His name is Neo. So my family and I gladly took him in. He was scared, not very used to humans but in only a weeks time frame he's gotten so much better with us. He lets us hold him, pet him, and he doesn't crab nearly as much as he did before. Well I can't put him in with the other two, the males just go at it. Roo is pretty mean too at times, like she doesn't go after him right off the bat. Only when gets into it with Tig, it's like she's trying to defend Tigger. The males are both neutered and I contacted the breeder and she said that they should get used to each other at some point...I hope they get better together. They do colonize, so you'd think they'd be somewhat welcoming. I think Neo's problem is he hasn't seen another sugar glider in four years. I believe he attacked Tigger first. But I feel like Tigger built this disliking towards him.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2016
09:44:33 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
oh my. I don't mean to sound mean, but please read up on how to introduce gliders to gliders before you get one really hurt and maybe hurt BAD.

You can't just put gliders together without them getting what I would call,
"SCENT INTRODUCED"

sugarglider.info/

sugarglider.info/care/intros/

here is a great website, and the introductions section.
Following these instructions my wife has introduce our 2 to 2, then our 4 to 2, then our 6 to 2. so we have 8 in a colony now, but doing it properly is
very important.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2016
09:00:59 PM
Izzy031115 Starting Member 3 Posts
I understand you didn't want to sound mean, but it still sounded offensive. I appreciate the links and I looked into them. You made me feel like I'm not a good owner though but you need to keep in mind that I got told it'll be okay by a breeder who clearly gave me false information and has no clue what she's saying. Only one fight broke out and I was right there and stopped it instantly. Thank you for the links but if you are going to say something you think may sound mean...it might not be a good idea to say it. Just because you don't know who you're talking to and if they'll take it personally.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2016
09:35:30 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I don't know BYK_Chainsaw but I have read many of his posts. I think it's safe to assume he wants very much to be helpful and supportive, based on his knowledge and experience. As a rule, most of us here are very protective of our gliders and well intended advice may sometimes sound a bit harsh. I truly believe it's not meant to be. Like you said, you clearly got some bad information from the previous owner and based on that, I probably would've done exactly what you did. Does that make us bad owners? Absolutely not! We do the best we can and it's obvious how much you love your gliders. We all make mistakes (believe me, I know), we learn from them, and move on. I've never introduced gliders but I've heard from others that there's a certain process to follow to ensure happy intros and safety for all concerned (probably in the links). Don't waste time feeling bad. Use that time to enjoy your gliders!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2016
10:32:27 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy031115

I understand you didn't want to sound mean, but it still sounded offensive. I appreciate the links and I looked into them. You made me feel like I'm not a good owner though but you need to keep in mind that I got told it'll be okay by a breeder who clearly gave me false information and has no clue what she's saying. Only one fight broke out and I was right there and stopped it instantly. Thank you for the links but if you are going to say something you think may sound mean...it might not be a good idea to say it. Just because you don't know who you're talking to and if they'll take it personally.

I'm glad nothing bad happened and you have some better info now, there are also other websites with additional tips I have seen, its not a perfect science.
I guess I'm old school, if I do good I'm told so and if I do bad I'm told so even today (I'm married. )

The wife and I were in the same place you are now, she brought home a pocket pets glider and we started the long and fun process of figuring out what she had bought and what we should be doing with it, what was good for him and what was PP lies.

Given that its an exotic pet their are many ways to do things and even the long time owners don't always agree on everything. So please just do as much reading as you can so you have the information you need.

So sorry if I hurt your feelings, your story is the same as so many peoples story with glider care.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 05 2016
11:56:27 AM
Izzy031115 Starting Member 3 Posts
I'm sorry for being so defensive. Lol...Pocket pets is where we received our babies, but I read some negative stuff about them afterwards. Do you know anything about that?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 05 2016
04:38:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy031115

I'm sorry for being so defensive. Lol...Pocket pets is where we received our babies, but I read some negative stuff about them afterwards. Do you know anything about that?

I have read about pocket pets improvements and that they are doing some things better. But the salesman lied to us, then admitted he lied. Their diet is better with glider gravy but they say its optional. glider gravy IS critterlove complete and is a main staple. I also don't like some of their
recommendations. Like bonding gliders to other pets, our dogs, one beagle and two german shepherds could so easily hurt a glider with just one quick move, its just way to risky for a glider to even try it for me.
We got two healthy gliders from them, and some we got from internet I think came from PP. but breeders have a history of the gliders parents, my
understanding of PP is they just get gliders from a breeder and sell them to you without any history given to you. My personal experience is PP and/or their salesman is mostly interested in making money NOT caring for the animals.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders