Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I m getting a glider and have done research need a bit more help
Question
Sep 04 2016
10:56:50 AM
Hi I am getting a joey soon. At least I think it will still be called a joey when its oop I keep getting stuff like that confused. I have done research for years. I first saw them at a PP thing at the mall and after that I did a ton of research online including the pocket pet website before I learned that they were cruel to put it simply. I found a breeder in my town who is a friend of my husband's. He was happy that I was able to prove I did research by being able to answer his questions he said he wouldn't have sold me one if I hadnt done research or anything. But I still have a couple holes I need filled before I feel 100% comfortable. He said to start out a hampster cage is okay then move to a bigger cage as it gets older but he didnt say when I would need a bigger cage. And I have a two year old daughter she is very careful with pets we had a hampster before and she loved it she held it under close supervision at one year old. I wont let her hold the glider but is even petting it okay? I would like it to bond with the whole family but I dont want to do it wrong please help if you can. Just as a side note I will be feeding it the BML because I have most the ingridents besides the wheat germ and the powders but both of those are easy to find.

Edited by - Iluvsuggies on Sep 04 2016 11:18:51 AM
Question
Sep 04 2016
08:25:32 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm not sure how long they are referred to as joeys, but I would think until possibly juvenile age, but couldn't say for sure.

I do not know why the breeder would recommend using a hamster cage, you can use a glider safe larger cage from the beginning. There is no point in purchasing two cages.

I know it's very exciting to prepare for bringing a pet glider, or any pet really into your life. It can also be a little rattling making sure you have everything prepared correctly and know everything you need to know. Having the correct information helps, so with that said, Welcome to Glider Gossip! I'm glad you found us here and have been doing your research.
Question
Sep 04 2016
08:43:49 PM
Iluvsuggies Starting Member 4 Posts
Thabk you for the help. He didnt recomend it I had asked about it reading somewhere that if you put a smaller glider in a cage meant for an adult they could try to over jump or wind up under jumping and not make it to where they were aiming for. And he said it would be fine but in curreny looking at the congo cage or similar. But looking at price tags this is one of the times I wish petco or the like carried stuff for all animals not just supplies for the animals they sell. But I SHALL PREVAIL lol

Edited by - Iluvsuggies on Sep 04 2016 08:44:42 PM
Question
Sep 04 2016
11:03:36 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I agree to just start out with the full sized cage. If you have a petsmart in town they sell all things living glider cage 1/2 inch bar spacing.
I have seen you don't want to chase around a young glider in the cage, you will scare it, and it will become scared of your hands. We just put the pouches on easy to remove clips and take pouch and glider all at once. so it saves us from chasing to get it. We also feed treats from our hands, so they have NO problem coming to us in cage for a treat. BUT gliders can be scared for awhile sometimes so be prepared to take it SLOW.

Petting for a child is fine, MOST glider don't want to be held! We have one glider out of 8! that we can hold fine. The others are in different stages. Mostly gliders will jump and crawl on you, or hide and sleep in your shirt. They will sit on my arm or shoulders. But it will take time and patience and a good glider and owner for a glider to be ok with being picked up and held like a hamster. During daytime its sleeping time so they will want a dark place to sleep and during night time its exploring adventure time.

I would call bonding more of a TRUST factor, first they have to stop being scared of you and be ok with you, then they should be ok with most of your family. Then with bonding I think its more they want or like to be with you, so they are happy to jump in your shirt and curl up and sleep all day with you.

As for a 2 year old with a glider, gliders nails seem to grow fast and sharp, so without a good nail cutting your child may not like the glider on them to much and petting may be better. Also be careful at first, if your glider is scared he will BITE HARD, and 2 year old can be scared away by this, so give the glider plenty of time to be friendly and not bite with you.
ALSO..gliders can jump from person to person and thing to person, I had a 10 year old get freaked out by 6 gliders using him as a jumping poll in our glider playroom, he could not keep his eyes on all of them, and their constant surprise landings chased him away after 20 minutes.
A face hug is a gliders way of saying YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND, it doesn't happen often but having a glider land on your face... well we got our second glider pair because sophie did just that to their 6 year old and he wouldn't touch her after that so they sold 2 gliders to us.

wow long post

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Sep 04 2016 11:13:22 PM
Question
Sep 05 2016
12:32:55 AM
Iluvsuggies Starting Member 4 Posts
Thsnks for all the help. I dont want to scare it first couple days ill have a sent filled shirt on the cage and put my hand on the outside unless feeding and wont try to touch it till it comes up to the door as I put food in the bowl. I showed my two year old videos of the cute little guys she was laughing and giggling and then got into an argument about them not being kitty cats. I know theres a difference beteeen a screen and real life but at least she will have seen what they look like and wont get scared by a fuzz ball shes never seen before.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders