Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
In need of the experts.
In need of the experts.
Information
Sep 05 2016
01:10:03 AM
So about two weeks ago I bought a beautiful black faced glider. Her name is Azalia and she is super talented to me. She is my first glider, but before this I have conducted research for 3 months. She is about 13 weeks oop. Recently I wrecked my motorcycle and I'm stuck at home for about 4 months. So I have plenty of time for bonding in anyway. So to the point. I understand that everyone says it can take 3 days to 3 months. For bonding to take process. I've read tons of posts and everyone on here seems highly educated about each glider. When she's in her cage she does back flips and flys from corner to corner. She's extremely fun to watch. Anytime I'm near the cage she begins to crab. During the day when she's sleeping I take her pouch and stick it in my bonding pouch and play on my computer. I begin to talk and sing but she will crab loudly at any point I talk quietly even. Lord forbid her see my hand that's when she freaks out and gets super loud and strikes. She gets tent time but I feel like it's counter productive because sometimes I have to chase her and I know it scares her. If I fold my hand around her in the pouch she'll be calm but I can't even breathe out of beat or she crabs for another minute. Imy getting a joey that's 8 weeks oop this Saturday. I hope Azalia doesn't corrupt my new glider because she's incredibly sweet. I guess I was just looking for some personal advice on do's and dont'so. Also how the transition with them meeting. I'll take whatever you give me as far as information goes. Look forward to the responses!
Information
Sep 05 2016
07:29:34 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
Sorry to hear of wrecking your bike.

OK No expert but the flipping is do to boredom and stress. A proper wheel will be best help and when you get one ( with a trimming sandpaper in place it will help the nails wear down. I see already getting a cage mate . please make sure to due QT as the new glider might have a bug or your that the other one not been exposed too. also there no guarantee they will like each other at first. IF you have some scrap fleeve around wear it a couple days/nights and put in her sleeping pouch this will help with her getting use to you easier as she will feel safe with your scent. also Treats just like with us Guys fastest way to our hearts is our stomach lol . she will learn that your hand brings goodies and other enjoyable items to her.
Information
Sep 05 2016
02:40:26 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place for info and support.

Sorry about your bike. The good thing is more free time for bonding with your new friends.

I agree, flipping and running laps is a sign of stress. Search the Gliderpedia for bonding hints and about introducing a new glider.
Information
Sep 05 2016
05:12:02 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
The crabbing sounds normal to me. your glider is super scared of you and telling you to go away and NOT EAT HER.
I would put a smelly scented piece of fleece in her bonding pouch AND a smelly scented tee shirt ON TOP of the cage. Maybe cut the grass and sweat real good on it. replace with fresh scent often.
I would NOT chase glider unless you have to, we carry sleeping pouch to playroom and then gently push glider out, hide pouch until its time to go. when its time to go usually new young gliders will get back into pouch NO problems, sometimes they will get on my wife's hand and try to get into the pouch and bite if she doesn't let them in.
We sit in playroom and let gliders run and jump, even the unbonded ones will usually come and run on us for a minute or two.
Information
Sep 08 2016
02:11:17 AM
Jaymay17 Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom as is. #128513; there are so many questions and I know every glider is individualistic but there are methods to everything. Like such as in play time how do I get my glider to get back in the pouch. I don't want to chase and stress her and treats never bride her. If you notice how late it is...I've been in my tent for about 3 hours. I'm trying really hard to not stress her out as the back flip situation needs to be stopped. I wish I could figure out the best way to help my glider trust me. When she goes to bed around 11 or 12 am I wait an hour and put her in the bonding pouch. (Hope she doesn't notice) then I sit for about 3-6 hours with her on my person. I've done this for about 2 weeks now and she is still terrified of me. She will use mr as a tree to get to the top of the tent where she can climb around. I'm hoping she will corilate my hands and arms as trees and what not instead of giant telephone poles as I once heard. I'm getting a new glider this weekend that will be 8 weeks out of pouch. She just jumped behind me and started barking and I'm not sure why but I feel as if it is something negative aswell. I just want to be the best parent ever and make my gliders feel super safe and loved. I guess that's why I ask you guys because a lot of other sites have other methods and here it seems totally about the glider.
Information
Sep 08 2016
02:13:36 AM
Jaymay17 Starting Member 3 Posts
I don't want to leave the tent until she's ready because she's interacting with me more now than ever but it's 2am. I have school at 8. I guess that's parent hood for you. Links and more advice is more than appreciated.
Information
Sep 09 2016
12:10:17 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Sounds like you're doing a great job and showing your glider lots of love! Crabbing is very normal for gliders, especially in the early days. Everytime my glider crabbed I felt like I was doing something wrong. It took several months for us to fully bond and now I miss that endearing sound, lol. Barking is also normal and a way for gliders to communicate. It may mean they are scared and just need reassurance. After play time, my female is usually ready to go back to her pouch. If not, a little treat inside the pouch works like a charm. Like yours, she loves doing flips in her cage (even though she has 2 wheels). I didn't realize until reading all these posts that it could be a sign of stress and boredom. Good to be aware of this (I've since added some extra toys in her cage which I've heard is very important). As you know, no 2 gliders are the same. They are fascinating little creatures and I wish you all the best with your new additions! Please keep us posted.
Information
Sep 09 2016
07:00:51 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Good morning, take a deep breath and a step back.

3 days to 3 months is a a very limited range, there is no time frame for "bonded" gliders, it takes as long as it takes and it doesn't stop. It's building trust, building a friendship that is an on going process. I have one that took 2 weeks and one that has taken over a year. I'm at different levels of friend ship with all 7 of mine. Please keep in mind that joeys this young have their own unique hurdles, everything in their limited life has changed, be patient they are scared and alone.

1 how big is the gliders cage?

2 is the cage stimulating ? toys, glider safe wheel?

In my opinion their first safe place is their cage, that is their home, where their fav stuff is, where they can feel secure and safe, where the human only enters to feed and clean. 2nd safe place is their sleeping pouch.

If your having issues getting her back in the cage during tent time turn on the light and offer her the pouch instead of chasing her, she will likely voluntarily go into the pouch. IF she doesn't go in the pouch on her own, Dont use your bare hands to catch her, use the pouch like an oven mit, or a piece of fleece to pick her up with. How big is the tent your using? The 3rd safe place is on you. That takes time, you have to earn her trust, AND start to trust her. Also you can do tent time during the day when she's less active and energetic. The point of tent time is to explore YOU on their terms, if the tent is to big and she is just running around and climbing she's not interacting with you or getting to know you. I prefer sitting in the bath tub at first to limit the space around us....

Introductions for gliders can be tricky, pleaseeeeee read up on introduction methods or ask someone who has done several introductions. They can go very well or horribly wrong and even if they do go very well you will need to monitor them once they are in the same cage for a few weeks sometimes longer to make sure it's going well and going to work long term.

Edited by - Leela on Sep 09 2016 07:02:53 AM
In need of the experts.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
In need of the experts.