Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Attacking Me!
Behavior
Sep 08 2016
08:27:09 AM
My new adopted female sugar glider (9 months old) is attacking my skin! What are people's thoughts on this? I haven't had her long but I don't think she is afraid of me at this point because she doesn't crab at me, she will take treats from me, she crawls/jumps on me during playtime, and during the day she is fine - I can pet her in her pouch and she won't bite or get bothered. The problem is that at night during tent time she bites and pulls/holds on to any piece of my skin that she can find! She has even gone after my face when up on my shoulder. I make the tsst tsst sound but that doesn't stop her. I have to physically move her to stop her. I'm not sure what to think about this. She and I are both females - is she trying to assert dominance over me? It has also crossed my mind that she is treating my skin like it's her prey - is this a hunting instinct she is having towards my skin?
Behavior
Sep 09 2016
11:14:26 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I have heard of gliders having problems with skin. Try wearing long sleeves and long pants when playing with her.
Behavior
Sep 09 2016
11:53:13 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sophie, who is our best and sweetest glider, when we first got her would
chew on my skin. the wife said she was marking me with her scent glands and it did hurt.

Gimzo our first glider will groom the hairs on my wrist and then start a strong pull on my hairs, I try to take it so he can finish and go about his
business but it usually hurt to much and i have to make him stop.
Behavior
Sep 09 2016
09:44:06 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Gliders can be little stinkers, lol.

It could be any number of reasons, but from what you described I'm curious if you have changed anything you use on your skin, s/a soap, lotion, etc. It may be she has either taken a liking to the scent and wants to bite or maybe a strong dislike and wants to bite.

One of my gliders, and I'm not sure which one has discovered attacking my ear for entertainment I can't be sure if they're biting or scratching it, but it hurts. I'm not able to keep my hair up, but whichever one it is will still look for my ear under my hair sometimes

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders