Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female glider sudden weight gain....is she pregnant?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 10 2016
01:27:51 AM
I'm new to this site but on occasion having to google sugar glider related things, I've come across some great advice on here. I have four sugar gliders. 3 males and 1 female. My oldest male is 4 years and he's neutered and bonded with the female for a couple of years. About a month ago my fiancé got two boy sugar gliders from a family needing to re-home them. They aren't neutered. They also said they were 6 months but I really doubt they are that young. However, I mostly kept the two pairs apart because my oldest male is a bit sassy sometimes and has a nasty bite when he isn't in a good mood. Now my fiancé is a bit naive and well...whenever I go to work he takes all of them out in their pouches and let's them sleep with him while he naps. And well usually he'd wake up and one or both of the younger boys would find their way into the pouch with my female. Tonight I was doing my nightly ritual of playing with them and noticed a significant weight gain in my female. She won't leave the food bowl unless she wants to come out with me. However when I got her I was able to see her parents and they were both hefty. But I'm just can't see how she'd gain THAT much weight in a week. She's even bigger than my 4 year old male and she's always been smaller than him. She's never liked to be held, she'd rather walk around on me and just do her own thing so I can't get a good luck at her pouch. I just wanted to know if maybe there could be another reason she would have a significant amount of weight put on or if I should maybe be expecting a joey or two.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 10 2016
02:20:58 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Even with joeys, it is unlikely she would gain that much weight in barely a week, and the weight would be located only at her pouch level, actually you would see bumps in her pouch when she's climbing on the cage. Add to this that according to my experience, if one of the males had gotten in her sleeping pouch while she was in heat, you would have had a hard time separating them, so it would not have gone unnoticed.

If you have any doubts, it would be better to bring her to a vet, sudden change of weight are never normal, and can be symptoms of many issues.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 11 2016
07:23:56 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
how old is the female?

where do you live, what is the climate?

what exactly does she weigh?

does she have goobs? glider boobs

It's not uncommon for gliders to gain weight this time of year, fall is just about here and some gliders prepare for torpor by gaining some extra weight. When a glider gains weight for torpor they store the extra fat in their chest area, it's a safe fat storage place for them.

If the temperatures get cold enough the glider will go into torpor which is kind of like a bear in hibernation. All of the body functions and organs slow down to conserve energy, sometimes people think they are dead. When they are in this state, they don't eat, so their body uses up it's reserve ( the fat stored in the chest area ) Torpor does happen, but mostly in extreme conditions however, that doesn't stop their bodies from preparing for it to happen in climates that aren't extreme. Not all gliders will beef up for winter or torpor so your other gliders may not be showing weight gain.

IF your glider goes into torpor, and this goes for anyone reading... Contact someone with experience in bringing the glider out of torpor. If their body is warmed up improperly it can do organ damage. There are people with this experience but you will need to get in touch with the veterans of the community. Bourbon Hackworth, Sherri Lamb, Cora, Shirley Smith are a few...

Power outages, furnace quits, run out of wood or pellets for a wood furnace.... things happen in the winter time that are beyond our control. Research torpor so you know the signs.

Regardless of weight gain, if you are letting intact males come in contact with a female you will likely end up with joeys... Weight gain is not usually an indication of pregnancy for gliders, the new born joey is only about the size of a grain of rice.

The female needs the DAD to help raise the joeys, with her being housed with a neutered male and not the Dad it poses risks of joeys not surviving.

This is not to be judgmental in anyway.... just letting you know the risk factor is pretty high for first time parents, even higher for a mom with another male that is not the dad.

Edited by - Leela on Sep 11 2016 07:32:21 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders