Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Having two separate bonded brothers
Behavior
Sep 10 2016
01:43:49 AM
I recently got two new boy sugar gliders. I'm not sure if they were born together or what. They are both...id say 1-2 years old? The people I bought them from said 6 months but I doubt it. Well anyway they've been together pretty much their whole lives. The bigger one, Bludger, recently took a nice bite out of the smaller one, Snitch. I wasn't present for the fight. And Snitch had no access to my other two older sugar gliders. But he had this big scab on his shoulder and I wasn't toooo worried about it. Until the next days when the scab was gone and I could see a couple of skin layers deep into his shoulder. And then I watched Bludger pick at it. So I put snitch in a separate cage away from Bludger to heal and each day I've checked for infection but it seems to be healing nicely. Now I'm worried about Bludger. He's barely eating his food and I think it's because I had to separate them. I mean they're so bonded that whenever I would wake Snitch up to check his shoulder he'd crab at me and Bludger would hear Snitch from his cage and start crabbing. Snitch still has a good size scab and I don't think I should put them back together yet. Idk what I should do about Bludger. He doesn't really even get up at night anymore unless he sees me and wants to play. Snitch is doing fine! Plays all night, eats all of his food. Should I bring bludger with me throughout the day? It's so hard to give all my gliders the specific attention they need when pretty much all of them have to be separated. They're both scheduled to be neutered in two weeks, hoping that will stop the violent fights. Any advice is welcomed!!
Behavior
Sep 10 2016
02:27:06 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
it actually might not have been a fight, but rather a dominance wound, subsequntly made worse by grooming. I would try to reintroduce them together once it's healed and after neutering (though I never had issues with my intact males bonded together here, the presence of a female in the house might have triggered dominance issues).

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders