Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How can I get my dog used to my sugar glider?
Question
Oct 01 2016
01:34:18 AM
Let me explain...I don't expect them to be buddies, I don't expect the sugar glider to ride around on the dog's head or anything...but I have a doberman named Maddy who is currently staring INTENTLY at Koko. They've been in the same room for a while, but Koko was in a small cage that the dog couldn't see into. Now Koko's big cage came in and Maddy KEEPS staring at her. I don't know if she wants to play with her or eat her, but I'm afraid the end result would be the same. Aside from banning the dog from the room Koko's in, any suggestions?
Question
Oct 01 2016
01:54:13 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
we keep our dogs and gliders separate, as far as no bonding. Our dogs know
to stay away from the gliders, at least while we are home.
We had a glider jump and run across the floor once, the dog got up and left.
I think you should keep the dog out of the room whenever YOU are not in the room, if that is possible. If the dog listens to you, then you could have the dog in the room with glider in cage, as far as glider out of cage with you in the room and dog in room, I wouldn't do it with my dogs.
Question
Oct 01 2016
01:58:01 AM
Pico Joey 16 Posts
The dog's not allowed when I'm out of the room, and if I'm gone from the house for any length of time I take Koko with me. The dog listens sometimes, but not well enough to be alone with the cage. She's just entranced by this tiny thing and the HORRIFIC noise it makes (crabbing is her least favorite thing ever). I'd like for her to maybe stop staring at the little fluffball that keeps running around.
Question
Oct 01 2016
08:39:53 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I cut a strip of fleece and clipped it with binder clips around the bottom section of the cage so the dogs cant get too close and snatch a tail. It also helps keep my floor cleaner.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders