Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bipolar glider (not really)
Behavior
Oct 04 2016
06:36:49 AM
I've had my girl glider Peaches for almost 4 weeks I know she's not fully bonded to me yet but there has been major progress my only concern is she's like almost bipolar (not really) I'll have her in the bonding pouch and I'll open and peak in and she'll look at me and she'll let me pet her BUT sometimes I'll open and she'll start crabbing and I know she's trying to warn me because she kinda lunges at me but not all the way I don't understand why she does this? Is it because she's not used to me yet?
Behavior
Oct 04 2016
07:30:59 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
Mine do that too and I've had them since January. I think it's just that sometimes when I peak in they're sleepy and don't want the light entering their pouch and they get grumpy about it. Kind of them just saying let us sleep damn it!
Behavior
Oct 04 2016
11:18:18 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Just imagine, you're in your bed, trying to sleep and a giant just shakes you whole house, removes the roof and looks at you... what would be your reaction?

That's exactly what happens to your glider each tie you open her sleeping pouch, hence why she crabs and lunge at you sometimes.
Behavior
Oct 04 2016
11:40:53 AM
Shanmdza Starting Member 4 Posts
She actually lets me pet her more while she's sleeping she'll look up at me and dig her head back in the pouch and go to sleep and I'll just rub her and hold her it's usually when she's a little more alert it happens during the night I'll have her in the pouch and she'll start to move around assuming she's starting to wake up and when I open the pouch that's when she does it
Behavior
Oct 05 2016
02:13:16 AM
Suggiebugs Joey Visit Suggiebugs's Photo Album 14 Posts
Mine also do this sometimes, and I've had them about 2 years. They seem to be more crabby when they've just gotten into their pouch and are getting ready to sleep after a busy night (I.e. Around 5am). Sometimes though my boy does it when he isn't feeling well - which is every time after strawberries for some weird reason. But mostly they're just grumpy because they want to sleep :)
Behavior
Oct 05 2016
10:07:28 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Shanmdza

I've had my girl glider Peaches for almost 4 weeks I know she's not fully bonded to me yet but there has been major progress my only concern is she's like almost bipolar (not really) I'll have her in the bonding pouch and I'll open and peak in and she'll look at me and she'll let me pet her BUT sometimes I'll open and she'll start crabbing and I know she's trying to warn me because she kinda lunges at me but not all the way I don't understand why she does this? Is it because she's not used to me yet?

So in 4 weeks you have made some progress, but you have a long way to go.

1. Your glider could be one they call pouch protective. she just could be one that will protect the pouch more then some other ones. so it will take
a little longer to get them to stop crabbing.

2. I read from one breeder she had a colony of 6 and had one that would always crab, she thinks this one was the official pouch crabber for the colony.

3. I think you just need more time, if your glider is sleepy she may just be to tired to crab as much. Gliders can sleep pretty deeply and during this time and just after waking up may not have the scared energy to crab at you. But if she is more awake your opening the pouch will scare her and she will do her "go away" you scare me crab.
I suggest you keep giving your glider pouch time. Let her learn your scent more and in the MONTHS ahead you will see changes and she will most likely stop crabbing at you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders