Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sick sugar glider
Sick sugar glider
Question
Oct 05 2016
04:05:41 PM
I few nights ago my baby sugar glider started crying and looked very sick. I took her out of her cage and so was so weak. I knew enough to know that she was dehydrated so i started giving her water. She went downhill very fast. She started having seizures and shaking. At one point only the left side of her body was blinking and moving. It was so scary and i was sure she wasn't going to make it throughout the night. The only thing keeping her conscious was me putting drops of water into her mouth because it would make her irritated enough that she would try to do something about it. She stayed completely limp then stiff for about an hour. I removed her from the cage of the other sugar gliders with a hot water bottle and a lamp because she was unable to keep her own body heat. Some how she pulled through till the morning and then ate for literally 48 hours straight! I started to think my male is eating most of the food and maybe she wasn't getting enough anyways my question is will sugar gliders fight if they are separated from each other for a week? Im leaving for vacation and were having someone come watch the other ones but I'm afraid she might have a seizure again so i was planning on taking her with me. We'll be gone for about a week but I'm concerned that when we come back she might fight with her mom and dad, is that a possibility?
Question
Oct 05 2016
04:58:08 PM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
honesty I don't know if they would fight or not it's kind of hard to predict what an animal is going to do, but I feel you are going in the right direction by keeping her with you. I would buy large bird cage and keep her in it and then introduce them back together slowly while supervised.
Question
Oct 05 2016
05:12:03 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Hello, if you can, it would be good to see a vet to make some tests, seizures can be signs of other issues.

I'm not sure lack of food is the issue, you can always increase the portions in order to make sure she gets enough food, but it is also possible that rather than the quantity, it might be the type of food which is the issue : some gliders seem to have a low blood sugar issue, which makes it necessary for them to eat more fast sugars than others (low blood sugar causes seizures, and if it happens again, try to put some honey in the water you give her, it might make her recover faster)

There is always a possibility that they might fight after 1 week, but it is minimized if you keep the colony smell on her, so bring a pouch and pieces of fleece which have the colony scent with her (which is anyway a good idea since it would give her a familiar environment in which she feels safe)

Edited by - sjusovare on Oct 05 2016 05:15:19 PM
Question
Oct 05 2016
06:44:12 PM
adelynamaris Joey 28 Posts
I thought it could be low blood sugar too. What types of food should she be eating then? I'm also concerned that they might not be drinking water from there water bottle. Does anyone have a different method of giving them water?
Question
Oct 06 2016
01:23:16 AM
Christy626 Glider 51 Posts
I use a water silo and also leave out a small bowl of water that I clean and replace daily.
Question
Oct 06 2016
06:54:49 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
I agree with what everyone said ( also on water bottles check to make sure it working right I have had air get trapped in the tip and not work until bumped hard enough to free air bubble.) Diet can cause seizures if she not getting enough of the proper vitamins and such. (But don't hold me to it it been a while since read/heard it so I can point to source. )
Sick sugar glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sick sugar glider