Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Questions
Bonding Questions
Question
Oct 24 2016
05:21:05 PM
I just got my girls around a month ago. I have had Harley for a month and Pumpkin, Luna, and Willow for three weeks.

All are still adjusting and are timid of me. Two (Pumpkin and Luna) will tolerate me two (Harley and Willow) are tentative.
These are my first gilders and even though I have done my research on living arrangements, diet, and health I don't know a lot about bonding. I have bonding pouches. My three girls have an XL pouch that all three fit in, and Harley has her own (I am still working with introducing her to the three). Harley has been labeled pouch aggressive. She kicks up a fit when you put her in her bonding pouch. Last night I made some progress. I placed the pouch in her cage and when she climbed all the way in, I gently picked her up and zipped it. She crabbed at me for a good three minutes. So I laid the pouch on my pillow and talked to her. I feed her some meal works through a little opening where the zipper is. She ate them and relaxed. I was able to keep her in there for 25 minutes, which is huge for her. I was also able to put her around my neck and walk around with her. If I take baby steps with her, I might be able to get her to like being in the pouch.

Now Pumpkin, Luna, and Willow. They do not mind the pouch, but getting all three in there at once is tricky. They do not always sleep in the same pouch. I placed a plastic trick or treat pumpkin in their cage for Halloween. Some times all three will sleep in there, sometimes only Pumpkin and Willow. It is hard to get them out of the pumpkin without scattering them. I don't know what to do about that. I was told it would be better to put them all in the pouch together. Willow in the pouch alone doesn't work. She is very unhappy. Luna and Pumpkin are a little better.

Also how long should I spend bonding with them a day? Is it better to do it during the day or at night? How do I get all three girls in the pouch? Should I bond with them while they are in the cage and what do I do if they run from me?

I really just want them to like and trust me. I know it is going to take time. I don't know what I should be doing to earn that trust.

Thank you
Question
Oct 24 2016
08:20:10 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I believe for many gliders standard bonding pouch carrying and playroom time will get them to trust and bond with you OVER a set time, at time THEY set. say up to 6 months.
But I also have come to believe (while bonding with our 7 gliders) that some glider are extra scared or crabby may need a small push or other bonding practice. I have seen quite a bit of stuff on youtube. some videos look like a good technic.
This girl has a few interesting styles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGaYuKpzew

this glider owner seems to have several good videos.
Bonding Questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Questions