Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Adopted 1 1/2 year old glider
Question
Oct 26 2016
08:30:10 AM
Were new to these pets and my wife recently got baby glider that she has been working with for a couple months. We found someone giving away a 1 1/2 year old male, so we took him in as my pet. He has been really great with no attitude or behavior issues until today. Suddenly today, he want to BITE. Imy not talking about his nibbling and grooming that doesn't bother me. Today he is biting like he means business. What gives. Do these guys get moody and just have bad days? He was happy as can be this morning in his cage, and running around on my shoulders, but went psycho when I put him I his pouch to go to work with me. I even waited a while, then opened his pouch and rubbed him with my finger under his chin (which he really seems to like), he was calm, then WHAMMO took another bite out of the blue.
Question
Oct 26 2016
08:23:01 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions! And welcome to the forums.

I can't really say, here are some thoughts.

Is the male intact or neutered? If he's still intact, he could possibly get a little wilder. I've never had an intact male, so can't say for sure. Possibly also could be he knows there's a female around and has gotten a bit feisty due to frustration if he's intact.

It's not that unusual for this to happen though. There could be any number of reasons he decided to bite. Most of the time it's scent related, or something they don't like. Maybe he was a bit off due to being placed in the bonding pouch, don't really know for sure.

All I can say is continue with him as you have been, be patient and keep spending time with him, consistently. He's still pretty new to you and may just need more time.
Question
Oct 27 2016
08:24:39 AM
Yodatech Starting Member 2 Posts
He is not neutered, and was a great little guy this morning. Just yesterday morning he was a monster. I can't be sure, but I think his sleep patterns may have been messed up as his previous owner had a weird work schedule. I take him to work and he has slept through the day for the most part and is a live wire at night which I'm understanding is normal. First few days, though he was awake most all day and was sleeping off and on day and night. Maybe he was just getting acclimated. Idk
Question
Oct 27 2016
01:33:51 PM
Akasha140 Starting Member 8 Posts
It may have been a scent thing. Did you use a different lotion, handwash, or perhaps had handled food before handling him? Mine have reacted that way when I did something that changed or masked my scent. Good luck

Edited by - Akasha140 on Oct 27 2016 01:35:54 PM
Question
Oct 28 2016
10:37:54 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
if your glider and your wife's glider are separate and unbonded, then your wife's gliders scent would be enemy scent. If you got the other gliders scent on you that can send a glider into territory defense mode. Our new addition gus never bites, but one day I went from another cage to his, he smelled the other gliders and went heywire bity on me.
Also after feeding mealworms that scent stays on my finger, if I leave an empty hand in cage and let them smell, they smell the mealworms and take a test bite, sometimes hard.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders