Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fighting!!! :(
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2016
12:47:18 AM
Hey everyone! I could really use some advice! I bought 3 Gliders about a week ago, I was told that Sawyer and Sadie are 3 years old, and have been together almost all their lives and Jayde was a new addition, 1 year old and introduced about a week before I got them.

The Glider cage is almost 5 ft tall, really nice, they have lots of toys, a nice cage set, and two sleeping pouches. The sleeping arrangements are a bit odd, Sadie sleeps alone, while Sawyer and Jayde sleep together, (Sawyer and Sadie grew up together, shouldn't they be sleeping in the same pouch at least? <preferably all together>) Anyways, I was told they thought Sadie may be pregnant, so I didn't worry to much about the sleeping alone. The cage sits in my living room, so around 11:30pm, I was getting ready for bed and Sadie and Jayde seemed to have a little fight, lots of crabbing and Sugar Gliders all jumping around, nothing to crazy. I went to sleep once things calmed down.

Quickly I would like to add, Jayde loves people, the first night I got them, she was so nice to us, wasn't scared, just wonderful! Sawyer... a little hesitate, but by the next night he was coming up to us when we were by the cage and really loveable. Sadie on the other hand, is not a fan of people, we try to bond with her and she wants no part of it, her tail was hanging out of the sleeping pouch so I pet it, ohhh boy was she crabbing at me, stranger danger! We do know it takes time, I'm not complaining at all just explaining their attitudes for reference!

Okay so the issue! Tonight Sadie and Jayde had the same kinda tiff again, not to bad but around 12:30am I went to sleep, an ambulance at my neighbors got me out of bed around 1, while I was making sure everyone was okay <pepping out my windows lol> I heard a lot of commotion so I rushed to the living room and found a Sugar Glider brawl!! Sadie and Jayde, almost in a ball, rolling around, crabbing like crazy! My husband and I were not sure how to handle this, but we opened the cage door and tried to shoe them away from each other, didn't work but 30 seconds later they stopped fighting, went to their corners and things were calm, I was coming online to see how to fix this.. When they attacked each other again! Being the Sadie doesn't really socialize, I figured it was her starting the fight.. it happened so fast, but I think it was Jayde! This fight was way worse!! I'm not sure if it was us or them who stopped it... but when it was over, I was checking both the girls out for injuries, thank god nothing serious, but each of them had handfuls of furr!! :( I didn't wait to have them fight again, lucky because Jayde likes us so much we got her into a bonding pouch and out of the cage. We have a travel cage that pretty tiny but we set her up in that with food, water and a sleeping pouch... there's not enough room for her to play though!

Is it okay she's in there? Will she be okay not being able to run and jump and play? For how long??

Do I put them all back together? If so how? I don't know for sure they ever really bonded! They had just been put together right before they came here!

I was reading on this right before I posted, and people said it may be about food, but they weren't near food either time I saw them fight tonight...

Please give me any kinda advice that could help! I've been up with them since it happened, Sadie and Sawyer are in the big cage, they seem completely fine (I'm interested to see if they sleep together in a bonding pouch when Jayde isn't in the cage with them) Jayde is in the much much much smaller cage, beside me so she doesn't feel lonely, she was climbing around when I put her in there, but now she's just in the sleeping pouch. I just feel horrible she can't jump around or have room for toys!

Please help!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2016
08:43:39 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This is kind of a tricky one honestly. If Sadie has joeys in pouch she will need the help of dad to raise them. But now you have another female that the male could of potentially bred with as well.

Putting the females back together I wouldn't advise at this point, one or both of them can get seriously injured or die if you don't know the fight is happening early enough.

Even if the initial introduction goes well, that is no guarantee the colony will work long term.

I introduced two pairs of gliders the intro was great, about 2 months later the colony still wasn't meshing. One of my females suffered some facial injuries from another female. We separated, aquired two more gliders for the singled one this trio worked very well. Later on I re introduced the two trios it worked for a little while, then one got a neck wound ( not from fighting) and had to be separated, then the same two girls started bickering at each other again. The colony of 6 wasn't working so we are back to two trio's in a different combination.

At this point, I would keep them separated, and get another cage for the single. IF the other female produces joeys perhaps one of the joeys can be the single girls cage mate once old enough to introduce.

The tricky part is, for the next 12 months both females can potentially produce joeys if the male is intact even if you have him neutered right now ( which I would advise doing ) Mating trio's CAN work, but it doesn't sound like that will be the case for you.

So now you have one single female who won't have any help raising the joeys if she does produce. If you do get her another cage mate ( male or female ) you run the risk of the new glider disposing of the joeys if there are any. It's a tough call to make and only you can make the decision.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders