Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant glider?? Help!
Pregnant glider?? Help!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 12 2016
12:35:00 PM
I have had my male for about a year now and just got him neutered a few weeks ago. I just recently got him a female friend around one week ago. Introductions went extremely well and I had her with him 5 days ago. Today I had them both in the bonding pouch and I noticed him sniffing at her pouch opening. I picked her up and could feel a tiny lump under her skin around her pouch area. I'm not sure if it is a baby or if I am just unfamiliar with her anatomy.

The woman had said she wasn't pregnant and that she hadnt been with the an unneutered male for a while but I have reason to believe she may have been lying as they were both unlineaged.

If she is pregnant, will my male kill it? I have heard of males ripping out the babies because they were fathered by another male. How common is that? What should I do? This would be my first baby. I have read up on everything but do not have a joey rejection kit yet. I am at a loss of what to do.. should I keep her with the male and take the chances? Or try to separate them? I know it's extremely stressful on them so I am hoping I do not have to separate them. Please let me know what your educated opinions are.. I want to do what is best.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Dec 03 2016
03:40:30 PM
Erika_223 Starting Member Visit Erika_223's Photo Album NY, USA 4 Posts
Bump. I too got a female who I believe might be pregnant. I got her as a friend for my current glider but still have quarantine time to get it all figured out.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Dec 03 2016
04:29:41 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It's really difficult to guess how they will react.
Usually, members of the colony act as surrogate carers, it's rare to see a male kill another's joey, it's usually other females which do so when it occures (joey stealing sometimes occure too), but it's not a rule either, there are successfull trios and colonies.

In your case Erika, it's more complicated since your gliders are not bonded together, there would be higher risk in your case (introductions can already be complicated, with a joey, even more). It's true fathers play a part in raising the joeys, however single females can also successfully raise joeys by themselves (but it's more complicated for them and there are higher risks of rejection).
I guess it all depends on how far along she is, if they can be successfully introduced before the joeys come OOP, it might work, else, it might be better to let her raise the joeys before introducing your current glider, to not add the stress of introduction to the stress of joey raising.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Dec 03 2016
04:35:53 PM
Erika_223 Starting Member Visit Erika_223's Photo Album NY, USA 4 Posts
They are separated for now, I've only had my girl for three days now. Can you tell from these pics if she is carrying joeys?

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Dec 03 2016
04:56:12 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
really hard to tell, my females have always carried their joeys low in the 1st weeks, I noticed it only because I knew her appearance well, it was becoming obvious only in the last weeks before the joeys were OOP
Pregnant glider?? Help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant glider?? Help!