Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar gliders body gets cold help please
Health related
Nov 20 2016
04:23:34 PM
My sugar glider about once every 6 months will feel cold to the touch and be almost immobile. The room is not cold he has fleece blankets and I do not cage him. He has free run of my bedroom and curls up to me at night. I mix up his diet to the best of my ability. I got him at 1 yr old and he is about 5 now. His previous owner couldn't get him to stop fighting the other 3 gliders and didn't have space for an extra cage. I know it's a lot of random info but I'm trying to cover all the bases.
Health related
Nov 20 2016
04:52:11 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Do a tent test on him. put one finger on one side of his spine in the middle of his back and your thumb on the other side of his spine and pinch the skin. If the skin stays up like a tent he is dehydrated if the skin goes back down he is not dehydrated.

IF he is dehydrated get some orange gaterade mixed 50 50 with water and get some fluids in him. If you have a needless syringe that's easiest but you can also use a straw or spoon.

I'd like to try to narrow this down for you but honestly that is next to impossible since he has free roam. There are far to many variables to pinpoint what the issue was caused from.

Keep him next to your skin, keep him warm and check for dehyrdration. Your glider needs to go to the vet and I'm not one that usually says that, your job right now is to keep him alive until you can get him to a vet in the morning.

Are you on facebook ? I can put together a team to try to help him and you
Health related
Nov 21 2016
08:16:33 AM
Brian0890 Starting Member 2 Posts
I should have said that he isn't doing it right this very second. It happens about every six months and with the weather getting colder I thought I would ask questions. When it does happen I feed him something I know he loves and put him in his carry pouch under a warm shirt he usually returns to his old self pretty quick. I just wanted to know how to prevent it

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders