Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help my new glider!
Question
Nov 20 2016
07:17:06 PM
I dont really know how this site works. A friend wanted to release the glider into the wild so i took him in fearing he would die. She gave me a 20 gallon tank and a bag of pellets. I didnt think this was right. Please help! Ive had him for 2 weeks. I started feeding him a fresh mix of mealworms,superworms,crickets,boiled chicken,peas,carrots,green beans, bell peppers, sweet potato, apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, occasional oranges, and plain nonfat greek yogurt. I was worried about his nutrition so i went on amazon and got the calcium powder. I also am going to order him a real cage and a wheel. Please help! Tell me everything i need and everything i can do to help him. Hes alone but i didnt know he needed a partner when she gave him to me. I will not get another glider until i can give him the proper care which will be soon thanks to you all.
Question
Nov 20 2016
07:49:13 PM
Dalton63841 Glider Visit Dalton63841's Photo Album 51 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by MaekjusMommy

I dont really know how this site works. A friend wanted to release the glider into the wild so i took him in fearing he would die. She gave me a 20 gallon tank and a bag of pellets. I didnt think this was right. Please help! Ive had him for 2 weeks. I started feeding him a fresh mix of mealworms,superworms,crickets,boiled chicken,peas,carrots,green beans, bell peppers, sweet potato, apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, occasional oranges, and plain nonfat greek yogurt. I was worried about his nutrition so i went on amazon and got the calcium powder. I also am going to order him a real cage and a wheel. Please help! Tell me everything i need and everything i can do to help him. Hes alone but i didnt know he needed a partner when she gave him to me. I will not get another glider until i can give him the proper care which will be soon thanks to you all.

Just off the top of my head, click on Gliderpedia up top, go to Diet, and look through the established, good diets, and pick one. Good on getting a proper cage. Also, the wheel, what kind did you get? Regular wheels aren't safe for sugar gliders. Because the jump when they run you need a wheel without the axle that runs through the middle.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are trying your best... And good on you for knowing not to release a pet glider into the wild. Horrendously bad idea.

Oh, and be extremely careful with the calcium powder, if you use it at all. They don't need much of it, and too much can cause Hind Leg Paralysis or worse.

Edited by - Dalton63841 on Nov 20 2016 07:50:25 PM
Question
Nov 20 2016
08:23:06 PM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
Thank you for responding. I dont remember the name of it, it was 50 dollars on amazon and it started with an S and had mesh. I think it was called the stealth? Sleth? Something like that. I heard it was safe so i got it.
Question
Nov 20 2016
10:42:07 PM
quote:

Thank you for responding. I dont remember the name of it, it was 50 dollars on amazon and it started with an S and had mesh. I think it was called the stealth? Sleth? Something like that. I heard it was safe so i got it.

The Stealth wheel is a good one. The biggest thing is that it doesn't have the axle protruding through the middle where they run.
Question
Nov 21 2016
12:57:18 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new glider!! Sounds like you are giving him lots of love and good care. There is a lot of wise advice here from experienced glider owners. I'm sure you will do great and will be rewarded by a devoted glider and much joy!
Question
Nov 21 2016
07:24:18 AM
Thank you for the response, i do have another question. Once i get his cage all set up and diet straightened out, i think he needs a friend. I will get him neutered. How hard will it be to bond him to another glider?
Question
Nov 21 2016
08:04:57 AM
quote:

Thank you for the response, i do have another question. Once i get his cage all set up and diet straightened out, i think he needs a friend. I will get him neutered. How hard will it be to bond him to another glider?

It's best to have more than one, but introductions are a process. The "accepted" method involves starting with a separate cage for the newcomer, and having fleece swatches that get swapped between cages at regular intervals, so they get used to each other's scent. Generally for about a month.

Edited by - Dalton63841 on Nov 21 2016 08:05:50 AM
Question
Nov 21 2016
08:49:51 AM
Ill do whatever i have to for him, im a little worried that since hes been alone for a while it could go wrong. If he doesnt like his new friend after a few months, what would i do from there?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders