Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
superworms - is it true
superworms - is it true
Question
Nov 27 2016
11:23:33 AM
I almost bought some superworms at Petsmart, but the girl told me I would have to break the heads off so they couldn't bite inside the animal's stomach. Is that true? I have heard that it is a myth.
Question
Nov 27 2016
12:01:52 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
They do continue to bite after their heads are removed, when I fed them I always cut the heads off just in case
Question
Nov 27 2016
02:54:43 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Wow! Glad I got large mealworms instead!
Question
Nov 27 2016
03:27:05 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
large mealworms are not recommended, they have a chemical food additive that keeps them from changing so they grow larger, some think that chemical is bad for gliders, this websites list these as NOT recommended for feeding gliders.

super mealworms - i have feed these to my gliders a few times with no problem, but thinking logically, if the glider chews his food, and spits out parts he doesn't want, how would a WHOLE head end up in the stomach. My gliders chew pretty hard and fast with regular mealworms. but removing the head does remove all questions.
Question
Nov 27 2016
07:26:07 PM
Dang! I finally finished off my dried mealworms, and was excited to get some live ones!
Question
Nov 27 2016
07:34:54 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Some folks feed super worms with the head on, my local rescue does. I just always opted to cut their heads off. It'd be my luck I'd be the one person that had an issue if I didn't
Question
Nov 28 2016
06:28:49 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
not had any issues and we leave heads on . the gliders ( ours at least) only want the gooey insides lol.

Question
Nov 28 2016
08:59:50 AM
BYK, what websites are you refering to? My Armstrong's Giant Mealworms came fron Petsmart.
Question
Nov 28 2016
07:01:56 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by jdching

BYK, what websites are you refering to? My Armstrong's Giant Mealworms came fron Petsmart.

this website sugarglider.com

Gliderpedia » Diet » Meal Worm

live regular mealworms are fine. superworms fine. (these DONT get refrigerated)

Giant mealworms questionable.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Nov 28 2016 07:03:52 PM
Question
Nov 28 2016
08:34:31 PM
OK, found it. Thanks!
Question
Jan 07 2017
07:50:11 PM
TXWolf Joey Visit TXWolf's Photo Album 42 Posts
I wish that I had read this earlier today. I just got back from the pet store to get some mealies for the first time for my gliders (I've only had them since Dec 12th). I saw a container of Superworms and thought to myself, "These MUST be better than regular mealies, they're SUPER!". lol

Once I got them home, and took a look at them ... I thought that maybe I had done something stupid. These things are long! I tried offering one to my girls, but they just went back to sleep. So I added a few live ones in the bowl with their veggies, and I'm waiting to see if M&M eat one or not. Right now they're tearing up the snow peas.
Question
Jan 07 2017
08:04:18 PM
I have heard that you can break the worm in half and show them the goo to get them interested. I'm not going to do that, yuck!

I have been buying the regular meal worms, but the are too small for me to hand feed without getting bitten. I have to dump them on a plate and then bring my gliders to the plate. I might have to go back to the dried ones.
Question
Jan 07 2017
08:18:20 PM
I use tweezers to feed mealies

Txwolf your babies are young joeys 10 n 12 weeks out of pouch... they may not eat super worms or even meal worms for a few months.

Glider joeys sort of grow into their food, some don't eat fruits n veg real great till they are about 6 months old same with worms. Are your babies on a staple diet??

Edited by - Leela on Jan 07 2017 08:21:54 PM
Question
Jan 08 2017
08:38:45 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I just get Camillies Vita-Mealies, the freeze dried. I don't offer meallie often, just nail trim days & special occasions (so they think nail trims are special occasions, lol, jk). I used to offer buffet of them on Wednesdays and referred to it as Wormy Wednesday, but I stopped because I think the girls are a bit too fluffy.

I ordered the freeze dried supers, the girls love'em, Ollie wont touch them, so when they're gone I wont order anymore of those.
Question
Jan 08 2017
09:33:25 AM
TXWolf Joey Visit TXWolf's Photo Album 42 Posts
Leela - I'm about to start them on the BML diet. They were on pellets at the pet store, but I've introduced them to fruits and veggies. I think that they'll take to the BML just fine. But they didn't touch the super worms. I'll try them again in a few days. If M&M still don't like them, I'll put them out for the wild birds to munch on.
Question
Jan 08 2017
10:04:23 AM
good deal make sure to follow the recipe exactly including the fruit n veg list. Don't be concerned if they don't eat them as I said somethings they grow into, if they don't touch them try again when they are a little older. I start joeys out on mealies sometimes I cut them in half to get them interested in them... It's gross but effective.

Edited by - Leela on Jan 08 2017 10:06:12 AM
superworms - is it true

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
superworms - is it true