Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider biting gently?
Glider biting gently?
Behavior
Dec 06 2016
11:40:35 AM
Ive really grown to love my boy and i think he's starting to love me to. I carry him with me all day (I'm homeschooled) and we take breaks every 3 hours for snacks and i wipe him with a baby wipe to let him go to the bathroom. We have playtime every night for 3 hours. What i don't really understand is whenever i go to clean his cage or put new toys in he will sneak up on my hand and bite it. He does this daily and hes never broken skin (not with me anyways, he bit my dad once lol) i don't think its grooming because he just bites and then looks at me. I don't mind because it does not hurt but its kind of weird. He only crabs at me when i try to take him out of my bra. He loves to sleep in there haha! Even in playtime he will bite my toes and run away. Also is it normal for them to stare at you through the cage? I put him in and he just stares at me for a while until he decides to eat.
Behavior
Dec 06 2016
04:32:42 PM
cocoapuff Joey Visit cocoapuff's Photo Album SC, USA 48 Posts
Mine stare at me too, I think it's normal. As far as the biting, my two gliders used to nip at me. But now they have started to bite, and bite hard. Sometimes I think they mean no harm, but maybe he is grooming you. Or he could be mad that you're messing with his cage. Does he ever lick your fingers? Sometimes I get confused on whether my gliders are biting me because they don't like what i'm doing, or if they're grooming me. I would wait for a more experienced second opinion on that. Also with the toes thing, I have heard that quite a few gliders go after toes. I have to wear socks now when I play with mine!

Behavior
Dec 08 2016
09:05:17 AM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
I used to feed him honey on my fingers when i first got him but have stopped because ive found its too high in sugar.He rarely licks my fingers now unless im hand feeding him something. I dont think hes angry i am in his cage because before he would crab at me to let me know. Plus while i put up new toys he will play with them before i even leave and close the door. What does the staring mean? Its cute but i dont know what he wants. Also ive thought maybes hes testing me to see if ill hit him (as bad as that sounds) because he will bite my hand and ill just pretend it didnt happen because i normally dont feel it that much. Should i say ouch to let him know he bit me? Or should i continue to ignore it? Does he want my attention? Normally i just let him sleep in his pouches while i clean the bottom of his cage and wipe down his toys and 6/10 he will come down and put his little mouth on my finger and then stare at me. Reguardless im proud of him, hes come a long way in such a short amount of time. I could never ever imagine abandoning him.
Behavior
Dec 09 2016
06:00:50 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
one of mine will stare at us or into space for awhile after we put her back in cage, so we try to put her right at the entrance of the pouch so she will just jump in and go to sleep with the colony and not do her 20 minute freeze frame.

Please don't use diaper wipes on your glider, my personnal opinion. We just got 2 gliders that were cleaned with wipes, they would pee on each other to scent mark themselves (i believe) so they smelled real bad to the previous owner. They were very yellow and did NOT groom themselves. I could be wrong, but I believe the chemicals in the wipes messed up their natural instincts. We cleaned them with a slightly damp towel (plain water). their fur has started getting softer, it was very hard and yellow. We don't think they smell that bad anymore. they did smell when we got them.
I just wont use the wipes with chemicals when a damp cloth seems safer after getting these last 2 gliders.
Behavior
Dec 09 2016
06:48:26 PM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
You know what i never thought about baby wipes possibly being harmful, ill switch to towels and warm water. I havent had a problem yet but ill do anything to prevent a problem. Thanks for letting me know! I assume i could use paper towels with water though, right? I just prefer disposable things.
Behavior
Dec 11 2016
10:31:20 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Mine will nip at me for a few reasons. He does it when he's hungry. He does it when he's moody. He does it if I have a different smell on me like a new soap or lotion.
He mostly does it when I don't let him do something dangerous and when I put him back in the cage when he still wants to play.

He's a nippy little thing but it never hurts, unless it's in a sensitive area.
Glider biting gently?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider biting gently?