Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Question from a new Sugar Glider Momma
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
03:37:11 PM
I have been feeding them boiled chicken, either shredded or cut into small pieces. When I check on what they have eaten the next morning the bowl with chicken in it has small (glider mouth-sized) pieces that look like chicken all dried up. Are they eating the chicken or just sucking it dry? So wierd ... this is the only food I've noticed that they do this to.
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
03:54:59 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Good observation.
They actually munch on their food and suck the fluid out of each bite, then spit the left out fibers (moon shaped remains).
If the food is mostly liquid there is no fiber to spit out, which is why you did not notice it with other food (and is also why it is usually not advised to blend their fruits and vegetables, because it forces them to swallow the fibers, filling up with non nutritious materials)
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
04:02:00 PM
StaciesSugars Starting Member 4 Posts
You say not to blend fruit and veggies together? That is the recipe for the TPG diet. Should I not use that diet?
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
04:10:25 PM
cocoapuff Joey Visit cocoapuff's Photo Album SC, USA 48 Posts
Leela once said to me, "Blending fruits and veg forces the glider to ingest insoluble fiber that they don't normally eat, they spit it out. Blending fruits and veg can cause blockages in the stomach, digestive track and impaction near the cloaca. just give normal chopped fruits n veg the parts they don't eat they can't digest." She is a very knowledgeable member on here. I almost blended my gliders fruits and vegetables until I was told that.

I have also read somewhere else, I think a facebook Suggie Group, that if you notice your glider eating their poop it's most likely because they are missing key nutrients that are lost when fruits and veggies are blended. I can send you a link to that group if you're interested. Leela recommended it to me! I've never heard of the diet you are giving them, but I haven't been int he sugar glider community very long. Is there a way you can still use the diet without blending their fruits and vegetables and just serve them on the side?

Edited by - cocoapuff on Dec 09 2016 04:11:58 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
04:34:19 PM
http://www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system#Recipe

This is the link for the TPG diet. I planned on starting them on this Saturday.
From what I can tell it makes almost what I would describe as a chicken pot pie minus the pie part haha

Edited by - StaciesSugars on Dec 09 2016 04:35:41 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
04:36:32 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
The TPG diet is fine as long as you are using the supplement that is supposed to be fed with it. It's well known diet also known as the Priscilla Price diet, and the Pet Glider Fresh diet.

Let me expand on the blended diet. By "blending" I mean, putting fruits and veg in a blender until they become a smooth, slurry, liquid, no longer chunks of fruit. Slushies, slurries, puree, baby food are blended. This is what CocoaPuff was speaking about.

TPG is a "blended diet" in the sense that everything is thrown in a bowl and blended ( STIRRED ) together and served as one complete thing rather than fruits and veg on the side like Bml uses, but the fruits and veg are still intact in the tpg diet, maybe chopped up, but not in a liquid form. This is just fine the glider is able to eat the digestible parts of the fruit and veg and leave the rest if there are any, like skins from the kernel of corn, pea shell, the shell of a green bean.

CocoaPuff you did a good job explaining why fruits and veg in a blender is not a good idea

Edited by - Leela on Dec 09 2016 04:47:57 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
04:57:31 PM

Yes...thank you both!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders