GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
SUGAR GLIDERS FIGHTING PLZZZ HELP
Question
Dec 21 2016
03:10:33 AM
Hey,

I would very much appreciate if someone could help me out.BARE WITH ME PLEASE. So in April i bought a sugar glider(Luna) from Pocket Pets in March 2016 ( I KNOW THEY ARE TERRIBLE). I did my research and obviously found out that she needed a bigger cage, a different diet and lots of time with me until i was able to get her a cage mate. In October I found 2 white faced brothers from a breeder who where supposedly 4 months out of pouch. So i thought she would be the older one and maybe bigger for at least enough time for them to grow with her and for her to be some sort of mother/authority figure especially since the males are both fixed and she is not. I was wrong. The other 2 sugar gliders were bigger then her already. One of them is about her size only a little bit bigger and the other one is considerably larger. They all sleep together in the same pouch even with other pouches in the cage however the larger one always makes it very clear both of them that when food is around he has all rights to all the food even though i have 3 separate food bowls in opposite ends of a pretty big sized cage. He sometimes is okay when his little brother eats out of the same bowl and very rarely Luna. Now when they is no food around the larger one is pretty much always chattering at Luna (which i'm very sure is in an aggressive way). About 40% of days he wont really bother at all other then chattering and small intimidation to just Luna and rarely his brother but its always for small amounts of time. And the other 60% of days he gives her a pretty hard time by chasing Luna around the cage for 10 seconds and they will maybe fight for like 2 seconds and Luna gets away and the larger one ignores her afterwards. I want to separate them because i have 2 cages however i have 3 gliders and i don't want one to get lonely or depressed but at the same time i don't want Luna to live in fear and most importantly i am worried about her safety. They are all amazing but the larger one seems to punk my other 2 gliders way to often and its kind of pissing me off. What should i do? I mean its not like the fighting is non stop, its always in very small doses that this happens but I obviously have a softer spot in my heart for Luna because she's such a sweetheart and i've had her longer but i'm not sure if i should.........

A) Give them some more time and try different tactics
B) Keep luna and the smaller one and try to find the larger one another home although im worried they might be depressed without one another
C) Try to find both brothers another home even though it will be sad for me at least i know they will have each other and i can get Luna a female cage mate
D) Get another female put the two Females in one cage and the brothers in another one and bring them out during play time. Which they barely fight because my room is so big and im always there to break it up
Question
Dec 21 2016
09:21:00 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
most importantly you never say anything about how long and well pre introductions went?
I think the chasing will go down over time. BUT, If it was me, I would separate them and do more pouch swapping and cage closeness. I would make sure when they are finally ready to have a neutral or clean cage.

we have alpha gliders in colonies and they like to let other gliders know who is boss, a quick chase and a quick squabble and no one gets hurt. We don't like it but think that is part of the chain of command. At times we have taken the aggressor away for a few hours. most of the time our aggressor acts up right after mealworm feeding time, I think he is trying to make sure he gets most of the mealies.

So...
I would separate and follow introduction procedure, (again or for first time).
I would make sure to have a neutral cage. If after all those weeks you put them together again and they chase and have small spates I would let it go IF NO GLIDER is getting injured. I would also take out aggressor and while others eat maybe have him with me and give him a few treats, let him be fat and happy.

which makes me think you could add a few toys for the aggressor, running wheel, LOTS of foraging cups with treats in them (he can't guard all them.) whiffle ball with strips of fleece in them, and other stuff that might give him something to do other then guard the food.
I believe a lone glider will be fine, specially for short term, dont worry about "depression and loneliness" if you have a chance that one could get injured, injury sounds far worse.

those are some of my ideas, hopefully others will post some too.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Dec 21 2016 09:26:46 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2017
10:23:00 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Hello, I have a very similar problem. I have 2 bonded and neutered males named Benny and Ace whom I just adore. However I felt I needed another glider to complete our little family and in my perfect world they would just get along fine because they're colony critters and they're all neutered. I named him Jupiter and Unfortunately introductions did not go as expected because apparently we have an alpha male that needs to defend his territory.(meaning Ace) They balled up and fought luckily with no injuries. Of course, me being the concerned suggie parent I am (also impatient) I went and got another glider to be friends with Jupiter (i was also afraid of him getting lonely) Her name is Luna. These intros didn't go well either and now we have 3 separate cages and alot of scent swapping And patience in our future. I'm hoping someone eventually starts liking each other.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat