Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cat got ahold of sugar glider pellets.
Food, Diet
Dec 28 2016
10:00:18 PM
I make up the sugar gliders food but I also put in pellets for sugar gliders so they have them during the day. They are mainly for emergency or if that are hungry when there food isn't in cage. Anyway, my cat got ahold of the food pellets. There are holes all over bag from them biting it. Trying to get it open. Can I still use it or throw away?
Food, Diet
Dec 29 2016
01:08:15 AM
Pine Joey Visit Pine's Photo Album 22 Posts
So long as the cat's healthy, there should be nothing wrong with the pellets. Just move the into a different container so your cat doesn't get to them next time.
Food, Diet
Dec 29 2016
03:00:56 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Cat's saliva is full of bacterias... It doesnt matter if the cat is healthy or not.

Even if I don't think those would be harmful if ingested, I would not risk it -they are known to cause infection and even toxic shock by injection (bite), which is why many people think cat saliva is toxic-
Food, Diet
Dec 29 2016
05:26:26 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
In addition to what sjusovare said, I'd throw them out for potential aflatoxins in the pellets from not storing the pellets in the freezer.

The danger isn't just from cat saliva.

Pellet food for gliders should be stored in the freezer to prevent mold from forming which can produce aflatoxins, which are deadly. The mold is not always visible just by looking at the pellets.

I would toss em, get a fresh bag and put them in the freezer, the cats won't get to them and they won't produce mold.

Edited by - Leela on Dec 29 2016 05:27:01 AM
Food, Diet
Dec 30 2016
09:22:19 AM
Not to cause any controversy or anything, but I've lived with cats every since I was a baby. I've been bitten and scratched by them more time than I can remember, but cats are clean animals. One or two of my cats like to hang around my sugar glider's cage and so far, he's been completely healthy. It doesn't hurt to be safe by throwing the pellets away, but this has been the case for me.
Food, Diet
Dec 30 2016
09:41:13 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Pine, exatcly as I did, because we have developped an immunity to them precisely by previously being bitten and scratched, however when one of my friend who is not usually exposed to cats got bitten, she got an infection.
Being clean does not mean being free of bacterias, every animal carries bacteria in their mouths, and what is harmless to one species (or one individual) is harmfull to another.
Cats will not directly contaminate a glider just by living in the same space, if the gliders get bitten however, it's another matter, which is why I said that I doubt those would be dangerous if ingested, but better be safe than sorry

Edited by - sjusovare on Dec 30 2016 09:41:49 AM
Food, Diet
Dec 30 2016
10:56:21 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
While I really don't think the cat saliva on pellets would be a problem, I would still toss them just to be safe. I'm only commenting to clarify something: cat saliva DOES have bacteria, and we are NOT immune just because we get bitten or scratched often as children. I am currently studying in Pre-Vet, and one of the biggest problems we face is being bitten by cats. The puncture wound is very small, and sometime doesn't even bleed. This means the bacteria in the cat's saliva (which is also found in every animal's saliva) gets trapped underneath the skin and causes an infection, since we cannot properly clean out bacteria from a hole so small and quickly covered by new skin. While this bacteria isn't found solely in a cat's mouth, cat bites are problematic due to those tiny holes from tiny teeth. Cat scratches can be problematic as well, but for other reasons, such as cat scratch fever. Cat feces is also problematic, but mostly only for pregnant woman. I still wouldn't eat anything a cat has gotten into, or feed it to another pet.
Food, Diet
Dec 30 2016
08:32:40 PM
I was just giving my insight on this. Thank you for clarifying.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders