Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Male glider has a problem retracting his genitalia, please help
Health related
Dec 29 2016
11:18:12 AM
I have a male sugar glider blaze who has a problem retracting his genitalia. I brought him to the vet for a checkup and that's were i noticed the genitalia was fully extended. the vet was concerned because it looked slightly purple and he speculated that a strand of fabric was wrapped around it so he brought him into the back room so he could examine blaze. he returned and said that blaze was fine and the normal pink coloration returned when he set it back into blazes body. he recommended if this happened again to apply K Y jelly. I previously told him that I heard crabbing from the cage at night and he thought that my female glider, whiskey could be crabbing at blaze because she is annoyed by him constantly trying to mating with her. He checked whiskeys pouch and sure enough she has a little baby in there! So I ordered an exotic nutrition Madagascar cage to pet the blaze in. My plan is to keep the cages side by side so the sugies can interact however they won't be able to mate. This morning I noticed the tip of his genitalia is sticking out, I tried my best to grab him with a fleece blanket and apply the KY jelly but as hard as I tried he would just squirm out of my grasp and crab. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Health related
Dec 29 2016
03:03:22 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I don't have males, but have heard on this forum, that when they begin to mature you will see their genitilia hanging out a lot in the beginning. That is not a problem unless it starts to turn black.
Health related
Dec 29 2016
03:13:22 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It's not uncommon for mature males to have their genitalia out, sometimes for several hours, it's problematic only if it never retracts and dries out.
Usually, males try to mate only when the females are in heat, so mating might not be the cause of it.
Separating them might in fact increase the problem, because he would see and smell the female without ever being able to reach her, which will lead to frustration. Besides, if your female has a joey in pouch, separating them will increase the risk of joey rejection, because normally both parents take care of the babies.
Health related
Dec 29 2016
06:19:21 PM
Flyingpossum10 Starting Member 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to keep them together and make sure the males genitalia maintains a normal coloration
Health related
Jan 31 2017
04:29:15 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
The only thing I could find was a note saying you can try to put gentile lube like KY jelly on a qtip and try and lubricate the bifurcated genitalia (2 peni) however if this method doesn't work fairly quickly you need to go to a vet asap or it may dry out and that just wouldn't be right.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders