GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Adopted new sugar gliders...Concerned.
Health related
Dec 31 2016
12:10:58 PM
Hi!
So I adopted 9 month old suggies from someone off Craigslist. I wanted to adopt instead of get from a breeder. However, I'm concerned he got them from pocket pets since he said he bought them for $800 at a convention.
I have them on the Priscilla Price diet and they are cared for well now. But I'm worried that if they were bred from pocket pets, will they be more at risk for health issues in the future ? I'm worried..Thank you.
Health related
Dec 31 2016
07:02:25 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sounds like you should take them to the vet. he would be the best one to say if they are healthy or not.

We have 2 from pocket pets atleast, several others we got as rescues we think strongly are pocket pets from previous owner. the vet says they are healthy.

We got 3 more recently that supposedly came from someone breeding them, but doesn't look like they were knowledgeable. 2 of the gliders don't groom themselves much, one almost not at all, having very clumpy hair. We found out that this can happen if the babies are taken away from mom and dad to early, they never get tout how to groom. so the most problematic gliders we have are NOT the ones that came from pocket pets. (note: the problem I had with pocket pets is they lied to us, and their diet seems to have holes in it. Our gliders seem healthy happy and bonded.)
Information
Dec 31 2016
08:33:50 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
My boy came from pocket pets and is happy and healthy, vet approved.
I agree to take them to the vets and get them checked out, which you should do no matter what with new gliders.
The problem is that if they were inbred, there could be conditions wrong with them down the line that you can't control and won't show up on a vet exam right now, since it's not a problem right now. Heart problems, liver problems, etc., could happen due to improper breeding... but bare in mind that this can also happen to correctly bred animals.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't worry about health issues just because they're from pocket pets. There's nothing you can do to stop a disease, just like humans can't predict something like cancer. Just make sure they're healthy now and take good care of them. Gliders don't show illness much so watch them closely :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders