GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Lights?
Lights?
Question
Jan 03 2017
12:30:34 AM
I feel so stupid asking this.

So, I know they are nocturnal. That's a no brainer. But, does that mean I play with them in the dark?

Reason I ask, I've noticed in the past two days they won't do ANYTHING until I turn all the lights off in my office (their main domain). I turned the main light off and turned on a lamp but they still wouldn't do much of anything except sleep. So, I just turned out all the lights and sure enough, I can hear them playing now (about to join them). All that is on is my television and two computer monitors.

The lightbulbs we use are specifically daylight bulbs (none of that soft white mess - hate it). So, are my lightbulbs too bright perhaps?

Sorry for dumb questions. Trying to get this as right as I can. :)
Question
Jan 03 2017
03:24:42 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Here they won't get out of their nesting box untill it's really dark (nothing brighter than a computer or TV screen) and if any light brighter than that is switched on, they return inside...
The only lamp hey tolerate once they're out is a really dimmed indirect 400 lumens led (it's behind the TV desk, they never have direct view of it).
Question
Jan 03 2017
06:58:43 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
it's not a dumb question

One of my males doesn't like to come out till the lights and tv are off. If he is hungry enough he will come out long enough to eat a little then go right back to the pouch until the tv is off. My other two cages aren't as sensitive to the tv but will go right back to the pouch if we turn the over head lights on.

I just got a LED light strip that's about 15 feet long that has a remote and different options, I have it set for red and dimmed, it's enough for us to see in the cages but doesn't seem to bother the gliders or keep them in the pouch.
Question
Jan 03 2017
07:21:37 AM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
My boys are more of an opposite theyll come out when my lights are on or off. That gives me a tent time advantage, I can see what im doing.
Question
Jan 03 2017
05:12:52 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our 3 colony comes out about 10:30 pm, they are in slightly darker location. Our 7 colony comes out at 12 midnight usually. but if we turn down the lights (I installed dimmer and dimming bulbs.) they come out a little earlier.
Usually the TV just stays on all night, but all other lights out, the gliders come out in TV light and play no problems.
In playroom in basement we installed dimmers, We turn it low and have tv on, but its kind of dark, gliders play in that room no problems with that type lighting.
I did notice when we first got them if lights were bright, they wouldn't want to come out.
Lights?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Lights?