Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider type and age
Health related
Jan 03 2017
01:19:54 AM

I saw some gliders at a colleagues holiday dinner party, I always wanted one and I purchased one, I wanted to get back ahold of them but they left before Icould ask them some questions. Would you know the age and type of glider she is ? Please let me know what you think here are a couple pictures .]

Edited by - PipersGlider on Jan 03 2017 01:40:15 AM
Health related
Jan 03 2017
07:13:01 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Congrats She's a beautiful Leu ( Leucisic ) kind of hard to age them really, do you know how much she weighs in grams?? In the first pic she looks like she might be on the younger side but it's hard to tell.

Edited by - Leela on Jan 03 2017 07:14:01 AM
Health related
Jan 03 2017
05:00:59 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our vet says once they hit adulthood its to hard to age them.
checking weight would be the closest way I would have to know if still young.
Health related
Jan 03 2017
11:38:11 PM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you all for your help, I don't know how much she weighs, I haven't got a scale but I am going to try and find out. When I first brought her home I don't think she knew how to climb or grip the cage to stay up,, she would slide down it jump back on and struggle to stay up but caught on finally :)
Health related
Jan 04 2017
11:19:56 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Isn't it so amazing and fun to watch them learn?
Health related
Jan 13 2017
02:30:03 PM
Hello, I took her to the vet and good news she is healthy. she now weighs is 52 grams I got her about 3 weeks ago. How old do you think she is ?
Health related
Jan 13 2017
03:07:36 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
going by weight alone.... about 8 weeks. So if you got her 3 weeks ago she was removed far to early from her parents. At 5 weeks they are just starting to eat big kid food and are still supplement nursing.

Having said that, the 8 week oop age is based on a average of weights of joeys, that doesn't mean she is actually that young, she may just be petite. There really isn't a good way for us to make a more accurate guess, you'd have to ask the breeder what her oop date was to know for sure.

However, you said she had difficulty climbing initially and sliding back down but eventually got the hang of it. So with that factored in, I'd say they separated her about 3 weeks to early.

What have you been feeding her ??

Edited by - Leela on Jan 13 2017 03:20:08 PM
Health related
Jan 13 2017
04:15:26 PM
Thank you Lela,
Makes me sad thinking she was that little and it would explain why she didn't know how to drink out of the water bowl, she would only lick the water off my finger. She is doing great with it now though.I can't reach the person I got her from, I don't know them personally.

I found vita mix complete protein at pet smart for her. Also I have her drinking 1/2 bottled spring water and 1/2 Gatorade in one water dish and the other just spring water. I saw on some site the Gatorade is good for them or pedialight. I am giving her fresh apple and sweet potatoes each day with calcium sprinkled on it.
She tried banana and avocado and she didn't like them. She likes organic chicken with broth baby food by beechnut.
This is all I have tried so far .

Thank you
Health related
Jan 13 2017
04:36:01 PM
She needs to be on a balanced staple diet. Especially at her age and already at a disadvantage from being removed from her parents so early.

Sprinkling calcium is risky, to much can be just as dangerous as not enough.

I'd suggest you do some research on diets, the two I recommend are Bml and Critter Love. She really needs a sound, balanced, nutritional diet to give her a better start at maturing and developing.

http://www.bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html
http://www.critterlove.com/diet-info.html

Gaterade and pedialyte are only usually only used when a glider is dehydrated or is ill, she is better off with straight water rather than adding either of those to her normal drinking supply.

Please keep in mind she is pretty young, young joeys tend to grow into their fruits n veg so she may not eat many things you offer her right now. Many don't like banana's ( mine won't touch them ) sweet potatoes should be cooked not raw. Getting her to eat things your offering may be even harder because her parents didn't have time to teach her to eat big kid food.

I have a 5 week old joey right now, she is justtttt starting to go to their food plate to eat big kid food, she follows her mom n dad or gets a ride on their back to the plate. ( keep in mind this is prolly how old your joey was when you got her) My joey is eating the bml and a little fruit but not going anywhere near veg yet, and really she is a little early to be eating big kid food, some don't even start to eat it til they are 7 -8 weeks old. Most ethical breeders won't sell joeys until they are 10 -12 weeks old for this reason.

Health related
Jan 13 2017
05:03:47 PM
Thank you so much for the information and food links. I want her to have the healthiest start in life and be able to give her what she needs all the time. I am glad she is sweet and loves to be held and don't crab at me unless woken up, I hope she stays that way. I didn't know all the stuff about them as babies and really glad you explained it to me. I feel better having someone to ask being new at this can be confusing at times. Thank you !
Health related
Jan 18 2017
07:44:01 AM
Criseyde Starting Member 5 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! She's going to need a cage mate eventually as well.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders