Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Teenage nippiness or something more?
Behavior
Jan 03 2017
01:33:23 PM
My partner and I have had 3 girls for about 4 months now. We rescued them through an organization, and we were told they had a poor diet (they weren't eating and were very skinny) and little attention in the past. They are our first gliders, and they are now plump, healthy looking gals. Their names are bubbles, blossom, and buttercup (I know, right? they came with their names). We are being very slow and cautious with bonding, and it's coming along well. They do not run from us, and will eat out of our hands, and we pet them, and have tent time with little issue. However, lately, Blossom has become vicious with her biting. She is not going into a defensive position, or hissing or crabbing or anything, I open the cage, put my hand in to say hi (slow and cautious, as per usual), often with a snack like a yogurt drop, and she BITES. I've read in the past that this should be expected with teenage gliders (they're about a year and a half old) but she is really drawing blood, EVERY time she has access to my fingers or my partners. She doesn't bite anywhere else, just the fatty part of the finger. It's starting to really interfere with my ability to bond with them, as she will always run up and bite, no matter who I'm trying to pet or interact with. Outside of the cage and in the cage, she bites. Always biting. I wash my hands before interacting, after, etc. This isn't curious biting. It's HARD, always bruising or drawing blood, and this is only recently a problem. Any advice or help on how to get through this?? She can also be very food aggressive with her sisters, very territorial, too. Bubbles and buttercup have no issues with biting like this. If the answers just to suck it up, I understand and I love them and will do anything for them, buuuut her bites REALLY hurt and I'd like to avoid it. Thanks!!!
Behavior
Jan 03 2017
04:42:21 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I don't know about the teenage nippiness thing, but you can wear some thin gloves while you interact with them. I know there's some gliders who just absolutely hate fingers (they are kind of weird, aren't they?) Or try making that pssst sound to tell her no in her own language (although that doesn't work with Tveit). I would suggest redirecting her attention to food, but it sounds like she's doing this while being fed too, so that probably wouldn't work. It could be cage aggressiveness, although there is no crabbing or lunging.. does she do it while out of the cage, as well?
Good luck! Until you find a solid fix I do recommend gloves :)
Behavior
Jan 03 2017
04:53:13 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We have ten gliders, only one still bites, but not often. we cut her nails in nail cutting pouch and she got me when I put her back in cage and I was talking to my wife. stuck her head out of pouch and got me. But I always avoid getting bit or pull away. link would bit hard, after awhile I would scoop him up if I needed to and he would nip me less hard. Then the nips got smaller, and now he doesn't seem to bit at all. So for me, I do the tsssk and try to discourage them from biting, but I dont think I have ever taken the bite on purpose.
Your situation seems different, more of an aggressive biting. Ours have always been a defensive bit. I really don't have much experience in that type of actions by a glider.
One thought - dont put your hand IN the cage, leave it outside the cage, maybe she feels she needs to protect her area. Just have them come to you to get a snack.
I might try to leave my hand in front of her and see if she goes for the bite, pull away before she gets me and tsssk her.
With nippie gliders I have also made sure I pet them on head or behind their head and back area. so they cant bite me, but I still get some freindly petting in on them. The only glider we lost was big mama, she was old (we think) and very anti-social. she was a real hard biter when we got her. before she passed we got to the point I could pet her on the head and she would take it, but not really like it. If I moved my hand in front of her she would be like, "sweet something to bite and try to bite me, but it had moved to a very slow less aggressive attempt at biting.

so in the end, I would say, keep trying to pet her, don't LET her bite you, give it some time and see if she changes.
Behavior
Jan 17 2017
09:23:56 PM
Criseyde Starting Member 5 Posts
Hi
I don't gave anything to add except I live your gliders' names. They're named after the Power Puff Girls!
Behavior
Jan 17 2017
09:25:15 PM
Criseyde Starting Member 5 Posts
I meant love not live.
Behavior
Jan 17 2017
11:46:12 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Wonderful advice above! I think gloves are a great idea, as well as keeping your hands out of their cage as much as possible. Let them come to you. I remember when I put my hand inside the cage and was bitten, my 3 year old nephew said "that's what happens when you invade their habitat!" Well, it was humbling, but deep down I had to admit truth to that. They need to have an area that is theirs where they feel safe and secure. My female glider was very responsive when I gave a firm "NO". She literally would stop, mid bite, and stare at me while she slowly let go. They like to test us, and we need to be consistent. Good luck.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders