Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Strange behaviour
Strange behaviour
Behavior
Jan 07 2017
09:07:09 AM
I have had my boy for roughly 4 weeks now, and every now and then I'll notice something strange. He is 4-5 months old now and he only lets my touch him every now and then or when he's crawling all over me, but sometimes, when I come to get him out from his cage for play time, he'll be standing completely still and won't move at all. He'd even let my pet his head for a long time which is strange as he would never let me pet it more than one or two strokes.

Heck, once I left his cage door open and completely forgot until I checked on him an hour later. Normally he'd jump out the cage first chance he got, but instead, he was just standing in front of it. He does move around, but he isn't active like he normally is.

He did do this when I'd first got him, but I thought it was just because he was overwhelmed by the new environment or something since the pet store I got him from kept him in a tiny cage with only a hammock and food + water and nothing else, but he's still doing it.

I'm worried that it could be health related and I'm getting a checkup scheduled for him the soonest I can, but I was just wondering if anyone here knows what could possibly be happening?
Behavior
Jan 07 2017
10:37:43 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I was worried too when I saw Tveit not moving and appearing to stare into space, but I read on this forum that they do that normally and they said it was because they're prey animals so they stand still to listen for danger or not bring attention to themselves, etc.
Behavior
Jan 07 2017
11:59:23 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
are the lights on? are the lights that are on bright?
Behavior
Jan 07 2017
08:43:00 PM
Pine Joey Visit Pine's Photo Album 22 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

are the lights on? are the lights that are on bright?

I have a bathroom connected to my room, so I leave the lights in there on so I can see vaguely see him in his cage without annoying his eyes too much when I noticed he wasn't moving, I turned on the room's lights, which aren't too bright, they're two ~5 inch square panels in the ceiling. They're not the most powerful either, but they do light up the room more than enough to read or write on paper.
Behavior
Jan 07 2017
08:45:21 PM
Pine Joey Visit Pine's Photo Album 22 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tveit_Momma

I was worried too when I saw Tveit not moving and appearing to stare into space, but I read on this forum that they do that normally and they said it was because they're prey animals so they stand still to listen for danger or not bring attention to themselves, etc.

Thank you so much! I was worried he was having a stroke or something. Great to know, though.
Strange behaviour

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Strange behaviour