GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding
Bonding
Question
Jan 07 2017
05:35:27 PM
everyone,
So I have a question about bonding and I fear I messed up my bonding a bit with my girls Lilith and Tracer. Lilith is the mother (who recently had another but the baby unfortunately died) who I got a year old and tracer I got 12 weeks old. So I have had my girls since September it's January now and I feel sufficient improvement between our relationship has been made but not where I want it. They will come to me when I open the cage, jump on me and then try to events jump off of me and get to the ground to explore. They always prefer their pouch over sleeping in my shirt or pocket. They also don't really like being touched unless they are sleeping or eating treats. What I want is for them not to jump off anymore and for me to feel confident enough to walk around the house without worrying too much. Any advice would be great! Thanks all!
Question
Jan 08 2017
01:09:38 PM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
Don't sweat it you didn't mess up. Have you tried bonding scarfs. They worked well for me, they are kind of hard to get your hands on but Snuggie Palace Gliders sell them. Or if you know how to sew you can just make your own (thats what I do) they are a lot like bonding pouches expect they are closer to your heart witch they will most likely bond to you faster they can also hear you voice when you talk. Good luck bonding
Question
Jan 11 2017
03:35:59 PM
Mprodgers Starting Member 5 Posts
My 3 are all well bonded, and will sometimes want to play and explore if I'm at home. If I take them out and about however, they will stick to me like glue. Even if I place them on a person, or bush to explore, their only focus is getting back to me. I think you're fine, just be a little careful out of the house for awhile.
Sometimes I let mine run around the house and play, but they always come back to me or their cage.
Question
Jan 11 2017
06:09:53 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would not take a glider OUT of the house NOT in a zipped up tight bonding pouch unless you felt 1000% percent confident he will come back or not run off. One mistake and glider could be gone.

That being said we do have 2 out of 10 that my wife will take out in her shirt, a place he usually wont come out of even IN the house all day. And both of these two we can hold in our hands and handle with no issues. Unlike some of the others if they do try to explore in the house, they are very easy to pick backup.

Some of our gliders have been very slow to bond, some are just more resistant to trust such large scary humans. Others have bonded stronger and faster.
Question
Jan 18 2017
10:24:16 AM
Kwerner7116 Joey Visit Kwerner7116's Photo Album 12 Posts
I have two boys, Spaz and Balou. I definitely think that you and I both had similar experiences. Mine did the same thing. I got them back in October 2016 so it's been about 4 months. Our bonding has become easier over time. Initially they were very scared of my boyfriend and I. The breeder we got them from had multiple cages of gliders so they were used to her and their family. There were bites, crabbing, so much negativity. But you really do have to be patient and go at their pace. They aren't cats or dogs they won't immediately love on you. It has taken every ounce of my love and want for them to be happy to get where we are. But they have to want it to work too it seems. If that makes sense. They attack the cage when they see me coming, they will let me pet them while they're eating, but there have been rare occasions where they let me pet them while they're on my shoulder or my bed. They mainly let me rub on them when they're sleepy and in their pouch. I've had trouble with keeping them in my shirt or hoodie pocket too, but honestly I think it's because 1) they're used to their pouches and the scent within the pouches 2) they're still not 150% bonded to you 3) their personalities. If they don't want to do something or be somewhere they are not going to if they can help it. I think as they get older and mature more it may become easier to have that closeness, but even though they're basically full grown in size doesn't mean they're not still "babies" or "children". Just like a teenager is still a child even though they aren't at the same time. It's a complicated middle.
Hopefully this helps.
Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding