Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Apple tree bark eating?
Health related
Jan 10 2017
09:21:12 PM
Hi folks. So quiet often i rearrange, add, or remove toys or other items in my lil guys (rocket&cosmo) cage to keep things fun and new food them. Currently the cage i have for them isn't to small for them but isn't as large as i would like it to be. So i am currently saving to upgrade their cage to a more spacious environment.
To the question.
I want to add a tree branch from an apple tree (not sure the type of apple but i think it maybe crab)
from my back yard. So broke it off and trimed it to size and went to put it in their cage and when i did Rocket latched on like a pit bull and started trying to eat the bark from the branch.

Is it safe for them to eat the bark?

Should i de-bark the branch?

Is crab apple safe for them? I have read some trees are but all my research just stated apple in general is safe.

I would really appreciate any help on this topic. I am really excited to add something that mimics their real living environment.
Health related
Jan 11 2017
12:52:48 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/807750/Safe_Woods_and_Plant_Toxicity#Post807750

According to this website, crab apple is perfectly fine :)
The only concern would be if you know whether or not the tree has been treated with any chemicals. If it's just a backyard tree and you don't use pesticides, I would assume it hasn't been treated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders