Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my female really a male?
Question
Jan 11 2017
06:24:27 PM
As some of you might know, I'm a new suggie poppa. I was told by the pet shop that I was getting 2 females, but I noticed something on Mickie's head that makes me wonder. Is it a male bald patch coming in, or a natural colorization on the top of her head? Oh, and those are raisins outside of the cage, not poop! LOL

Another small bit of info ... Mickie won't let me hold her yet. So to state the obvious, I haven't been able to check the underside plumbing. LOL

Edited by - TXWolf on Jan 11 2017 06:37:05 PM
Question
Jan 11 2017
06:35:33 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
A vet visit would be the best way, if you could handle them a check for a pouch in belly would also be a good way. but usually when they are new they dont like to be held in a way that makes a pouch inspection easy. young gliders also have much smaller pouches that can be harder to find.
Question
Jan 11 2017
06:39:30 PM
TXWolf Joey Visit TXWolf's Photo Album 42 Posts
I try to catch a glimpse of her underside as she's jumping around at night, but she's too quick! #128578;
Question
Jan 11 2017
06:42:19 PM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
My first male wouldnt let me touch him for a long time but loved to climb the bars of his cage at night, ( he lived in a fishtank for a long time so he never got to climb when he was young) if you turn off the lights and have a bedside table lamp on you can feed your baby through the bar to see if she has a pouch,or the other thing.. lol
Question
Jan 12 2017
05:02:51 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
You could try using a treat to keep her in place when she is climbing so you could catch a glimpse. Hold the treat in one spot and try to keep her attention on it. I would video tape it so you can rewatch, pause, and take a good look for the pouch. If there is a thing that looks like a pom pom then she's actually male, if there is a thing that looks like a belly button then it's female.
Question
Jan 12 2017
05:15:12 AM
I try to catch a glimpse of her underside as she's jumping around at night, but she's too quick! #128578;
Question
Jan 12 2017
08:51:50 AM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
Ive done this before with mice, hamsters and rats but i dont know how well it will work for sugar gliders. Someone can tell you if its safe or not. You take a piece of glass (we always used the glass from picture frames) and tape the edges with duct tape if its sharp. Put the animal on the glass and give it a treat, licky treats like yogurt and honey work best so they dont sit up to eat. You can lift the glass and look underneath or take a photo to determine what sex. I recommend having another person there to hold the glass while you look.
Protip: make sure the glass is clean.
Question
Jan 12 2017
03:53:49 PM
I was finally able to get pics of Mickie's underside today.

Question
Jan 12 2017
05:27:50 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
looks like a male
Question
Jan 14 2017
02:39:08 PM
:-(
Question
Jan 14 2017
04:05:09 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I can't tell, I don't see anything.
Question
Jan 14 2017
04:49:01 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
All my boys' balls were big and fuzzy so it was easy to see
(Lol )
But I really don't see a slit for a pouch either
Can you try another picture?
Question
Jan 14 2017
05:12:48 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
with young females we have to really pull apart the fur to see the pouch sometimes.
if the male is nuetered then that could be a male.
So either a close inspection by you or a vet.!!
Question
Jan 15 2017
07:42:08 AM
I'm going to take the pair to the vet to get their nails trimmed for the first time. I'll have him do a closer inspection while he has a hold of her.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders