Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New sugar glider owner!
New sugar glider owner!
Information
Jan 17 2017
10:53:00 PM
Hello all, I have gotten 2 new sugar gliders about 2 days ago, They're sisters. I've researched and read all about sugar gliders but I still have a few questions. Honestly, I want to know if I'm doing things right. The guy we bought the sugar gliders from we're selling them because they were his daughters and she went to college. He didn't really know much about them. We didn't buy the parents, we got the 2 babies who I'm thinking have never really been handled. One isn't that bad, and is starting to get use to us.. even though she is wanting to nibble fingers. The other freaks out. I've tried to carry it around in a pouch and any movement or even a whisper it will crab. Outside of the pouch.. it isn't as hostile. I've been trying to hand feed it snacks in the pouch to calm her down and that seems to work.. do I just keep trying that? Also their diet, I got vitasmart complete nutrition pellets, and I also have fruit and vegetables, and meal worms for them. Oh and I got honey and applesauce to put on my fingers.
Information
Jan 18 2017
12:25:24 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions!
You've come to the right place. I've learned so much from this forum from the many kind and knowledgeable people willing to help and offer advice!
Sounds like what you're doing by offering snacks in the pouch is working well to calm her down and gain her trust. Nibbling is very normal. In fact, I recently learned that gliders may start out gently licking food off fingers and after a few nibbles might bite really hard. They do this in the wild to draw more sap out of the trees. I guess they have to learn for themselves that the only thing they'll draw from our fingers is blood.
Vitasmart is not a very balanced diet, despite its name. But fruits, vegetables, and meal worms are excellent.
Below you will find recipes for 3 very well known, balanced sugar glider diets. I know a lot of people here have used them and have been very happy with them. Personally, I use a diet that my vet recommended that I'm happy to share. Just let me know. Enjoy your little ones!

bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html

www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system#Recipe

Error, missing URL. l
Information
Jan 18 2017
12:32:16 AM
For some reason the last one didn't work....

HPW ORIGINAL

Original HPW is a modification of PML. Peggy Brewer and her veterinarian made the modifications which were announced and published with the release of her book. Just as PML, Original HPW uses the Australian Wombaroo High Protein Supplement but only Original HPW stands for "High-Protein Wombaroo" Diet.

Ingredients
2 Cups Warm Water
1.5 Cups Honey
3 Scrambled Eggs(can cook in microwave or stovetop)
1/4 Cup High Protein Wombaroo Powder (Increase to 1/2 cup for pregnant/lactating females.)
1 Tablespoon Bee Pollen

Recipe:
Cook Eggs, set aside.
In a large bowl mix warm water and honey until the honey dissolves.
Add in the Wombaroo High Protein Supplement and mix well.
In a blender, blend eggs, bee pollen, and 1 cup Wombaroo High Protein Supplement mixture for two minutes.
Add remaining Wombaroo High Protein Supplement mixture to blender and blend for two minutes.

Pour the HPW diet mixture into a freezer safe container or ice cube trays and freeze. It freezes to a soft consistency that is easily scooped nightly.

Nightly Feeding(per glider):
1.5 Teaspoon of Original HPW
1 Tablespoon of mixed Fruit
1 Tablespoon of mixed Vegetables
Information
Jan 18 2017
01:26:02 AM
Billingsca91 Joey 10 Posts
I actually read about the BML after I wrote this post! I was thinking about trying it out because it's all stuff I can get here and not worry about shipping. With the BML diet.. should I still leave pellets in their cage still or is the BML enough? And if I should leave pellets.. is there something better I can get them? Thank you for the feed back! I'll keep trying to earn my girls trust! I know it won't happen over night.
Information
Jan 18 2017
02:54:18 AM
Yes, and earning their trust is so important and absolutely worth it!
The BML should be enough eventually but I would leave pellets there to make sure they're still eating and not going cold turkey. You can gradually cut back until the BML is their main staple. Generally, pellets aren't the most nutritional but gliders tend to like them. They'll get so much other variety though, with BML, fruits, veggies, mealworms, and the honey and applesauce that you mentioned. Yogurt is also a healthy treat.
Information
Jan 18 2017
09:46:34 PM
So I went and made the BML today, and when I put some in their cage and they instantly smelled it and started looking for it. They definitely seemed like they liked it. I think I'm making progress with the scared glider. She's coming up to me and smelling my hand in the cage and climbs all over me during bathroom time. She just crabs when she's in the pouch, but she doesn't lung now. I can easily give her treats and she happily takes them. Just hates doesn't want anyone near her while she's in a pouch.
Information
Jan 20 2017
01:39:57 AM
That's awesome! Sounds like you're doing a great job bonding with your little ones and learning what they like. Keep up the nice work!
Information
Jan 20 2017
08:14:01 PM
Had a breakthrough with the scared sugar glider today! I opened the pouch today and one was still asleep and one just looked up at me. I figured it was the one that wasn't too scared because she wasn't crabbing. Turns out it was the scared one and didn't crab at all at me! She even let me put my hand in and pet her!
Information
Jan 21 2017
01:30:48 AM
Wow, so cool. That must've felt so good. But I have to warn you.....you just might start missing her crabbing. I know I did
Information
Jan 22 2017
01:57:41 AM
Criseyde Starting Member 5 Posts
Congrats on your new gliders!
When feeding your BML duet, you can only give certain fruits and vegetables to makes sure they're getting the right calcium and phosphorus ratio.
Veggies: green or wax beans, corn, peas or carrots. Fruit: apple, pitted cherries, blueberries, cantaloupe, honey dew melon, seedless grapes and seedless watermelo. You're not supposed to give others along with this unless just a treat. You can give mealworms.
Information
Jan 22 2017
01:40:03 PM
Yes yes, I know! I've read the BML recipe website backwards and forwards to make sure I'm doing everything right! Thank you though!
New sugar glider owner!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New sugar glider owner!