Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is a pair of sugar gliders absolutely required?
Question
Jan 19 2017
03:45:24 PM
I'm planning on getting a sugar glider, or possibly two. I already have cages picked out, toys, and I've already personally sewed many pouches and such (Tested by my very unhappy kitten to make sure the seems held). But the only thing I am totally unsure on is if a joey or an adult truly needs another sugar glider. I've read articles from "No, they will do perfectly fine if you socialize them enough" to "OMG NO THEY WILL DIE OF HORROR AND SADNESS HOW COULD YOU EVEN CONTEMPLATE IT!!!!" Now while I obviously do not head over heels believe the latter, I was wondering if it would be beneficial for a sugar glider that I would own to have a buddy, over them not. Every week day I am gone from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm and I am usually home weekends. Now I have had a few professionals pitch in and say that honestly, it matters very little either way. It could be fine, it could not. Sugar gliders of course have personalities of their own depends. But I am simply unsure if things will be absolutely horrible for a little sugar bear if he doesn't have a play mate of his own species. Now before anyone responds totally bashing people who don't think two or more is needed, understand that I will be naturally inclined to not take you seriously if the only way you can prove your point is to act terrible to someone else's opinion. And do not bash me either, I am completely willing to purchase a pair of sugar gliders, I am simply curious.

Thank You!
Question
Jan 19 2017
03:55:19 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
While not absolutely necessary, They would be much happier with a cage mate. Of course, You could purchase a second glider later on, but introductions might not work out well. Best to purchase two who have already been introduced. That is my opinion.
Question
Jan 19 2017
05:29:17 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
In my opinion you can own one glider, its like owning one dog. One dog does fine and finds companionship in its owners, but I have 3 dogs now and they also find LOTS of companionship and playtime between the 3 of them.
So a single glider is fine. We have 7 in one cage and 3 in another cage. In the colony of 7 we have one female that doesn't get along with the others at night and I would like to move her out of that colony.
the colony of 3 used to be 2 and 1. the single glider when we got them was scared and acted weird, always hanging from top of cage, doing repetitive motion movements. Once we got her with the other 2 there was a short period she would chase the other female. but after a few months she now acts much more normal, is less scared and plays with the other with no repetitive motion issues, she also now has 2 wheels to play on.

In your situation I would think your schedule would be better to have 2. You say you work at 7:30 am, so you need to sleep early. Who will say hi to only one at 10pm, or 11pm, when they wake up. If you can wake up early and spend some time at 5 to 6 am with a single glider that would be ok, but you wont have them in your shirt sleeping during the day, your at work, at night your sleeping for work. In your situation a pair sounds better for the gliders companionship. If you said you work 2-3 days a week or worked evenings and were home awake at 1 or 2 am, then you would have more time for a single glider.
Question
Jan 19 2017
11:09:07 PM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
In my opinion, for MOST gliders, i feel they would want a cagemate. Just because i feel like i can't be everything they need. Do they love me? Well i think so, but i have to sleep, and thats when they are most active. Can you keep a lone glider? Yeah, lots of people do. But theres so many benefits with having 2. Plus, its much more fun having 2 of them. And other than vet bills and extra food its not much more expensive. You still need a wheel, toys, cage sets, and a big cage.
Question
Jan 20 2017
10:03:11 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
If you can afford it, I think two is better. Although one does fine on their own, like was said before, all animals benefit from having a friend. My boy is alone currently, and has been his whole life (pocket pets didn't give him a buddy, either) and he will stay that way only because I rescued him from a bad situation and don't have the means of getting him a buddy. As a college student, money is tight and time for introductions can't be found etc. He shows no signs of loneliness. When he runs around at night I wake up and play with him for 5-10 minutes, then go back to sleep. Sometimes he wakes me up multiple times a night running (never barking, as could be a sign of loneliness) around. I'm fine with this, because I know it's my glider momma duty to keep him company since he can't have a friend. I do the best I can.
That being said... I do wish I could get him a friend. I feel bad when I have to put him back in his cage around 1 am and I can see he still wants me to play and pet him. He looks at me with those large sad eyes.... I would definitely have two if I could.
Question
Feb 02 2017
12:16:53 AM
LBK94 Joey 14 Posts
In my opinion... gliders work better with a cage mate. I have read and heard from the people who say their glider is fine alone raised the baby without a friend but a lot more bonding needs to be put into the glider. They are up at night, so playing with gliders at nine pm to nine am is pretty tough lol I would say if you could get two just so they don't get lonely. It makes it easy for them to play and have fun when you are unable to play with them.
My gliders would proably get depressed and pass away if I were to separate them but they were raised together so its two sides of a coin. If you have the time then one will be fine, if you don't and are worried about loneliness and depression then get two.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders