Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help with gliders in an illegal state
Research Information
Jan 21 2017
11:12:44 PM
I have a non-internet friend who needs some help.

Before I continue, I know the correct answer already. Its PA. She should not have gotten a Glider. But she has owned several in the past and it was one of those "nobody knows" scenarios. Her two gliders were confiscated by PA game commission today.

Her plan was to find a loophole (she was recently hurt badly in a the most terrible kind of assault) and her therapist suggested a pet. So she jumped the gun and got a glider before properly researching any possible permitting avenues.

Long story short, does she have any chance? Is she likely to be prosecuted? Or does she have any chance of appealing to them to at least rehome them to a legal state instead of euthanasia? In her very dire emotional state, (in and out of the hospital) knowing they will be euthanized is neither healthy for the gliders, nor for her.

How would you proceed?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Research Information
Jan 22 2017
12:48:02 PM
minime3 Glider Visit minime3's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
In California,Fish and game will allow the animal to be rescued and taken out of state. She will have to do the foot work and make calls to set this up. It may be different in Pa but it's worth a try. Many fish and game officials are sympathetic to the animals and don't want to see them euthanized either, however there are some that just don't care. she may even be able to get a permit due to her circumstances. Try calling local shelters for help. they may be able to direct her further. Best of luck!!
Research Information
Jan 23 2017
10:35:40 AM
curtis73 Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you for your insight. So far she's in a holding pattern waiting for GC to respond to calls.

Very much appreciated, minime
Research Information
Jan 23 2017
03:42:46 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
emailed you and hopefully she can save them. email has my contact info
Research Information
Jan 29 2017
12:02:58 AM
arcticfurmom Joey Visit arcticfurmom's Photo Album CO, USA 22 Posts
I was under the impression that PA issued permits to keep gliders. My understanding was that they weren't illegal, per se, but that you had to apply for and receive a permit in order to keep them. Am I wrong in that regard?
Research Information
Jan 29 2017
12:08:46 AM
curtis73 Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by arcticfurmom

I was under the impression that PA issued permits to keep gliders. My understanding was that they weren't illegal, per se, but that you had to apply for and receive a permit in order to keep them. Am I wrong in that regard?

Hard to say. There is a law that says you can't have non-indigenous exotic animals. There is also a law that says you can't have indigenous species that were extracted from the wild. Like, if you want a pet black snake, you can't go get one from under a rock, you have to buy one from a domesticated source.

Then the permit-issuing clause with the GC says that you an get a permit for the indigenous species only... but that the GC can make exceptions on species that are included in that permitting privilege.

Seems like a huge grey area that legally leans toward NO, but leniency in practice means things lean toward "IF" or "MAYBE"
Research Information
Jan 29 2017
06:21:28 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Pa does not issue any permits. They are illegal. If the authorities confiscate illegal gliders they will destroy them UNLESS there is a legal 501c3 that will take them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders