Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider refuse to let mother go
Health related
Jan 22 2017
08:35:31 AM
My mother sugar glider just had a sudden death.But the joey of the sugar glider keeps hugging the mother's body and refuse to let her mother go.Is it ok if I leave the body for one day before I bury it just to let them spend their last time together? Or will it cause virus infection?
Health related
Jan 22 2017
08:39:07 AM
Charyl Joey Visit Charyl's Photo Album 12 Posts
And also,the joey refuses to eat any food besides her mother's milk.Not even the pet milk I bought for her.
Health related
Jan 22 2017
09:28:22 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
How old is the joey?

If it's very young it's probably still latched to the nipple

And no, I would not let it stay with a corpse.

But if you pop her off the nipple you are going to likely have to hand feed her depending on her age that can mean every two hour feedings and you will need a joey rejection kit.

The odds of the joey surviving if it is young enough to be latched to the nipple are pretty slim.

Is this the moms first joey?

I've never heard of milk fever in gliders that is most commonly associated with dairy cows, what led your vet to that conclusion? did he run any tests??

Edited by - Leela on Jan 22 2017 09:34:50 AM
Health related
Jan 22 2017
10:47:21 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.
I know it's difficult, but the situation needs a quick reaction, do not let the joey with the corpse, aside from the fact that the cause of death are unknown and possibly contagious, the joey will get hypothermia really fast without her mother's heat.
Depending on her age, you will have to feed her manually with a syringue (just put a drop of milk on her lips and let her lap, do not force the syringue in her mouth). The best replacement milk is wombarroo milk, but you can use puppy milk too (not kitten milk).
I advise you to read Suz's page about handraising joeys, it's full of informations and explains the process better than I could do: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

On a side note, I am not sure your vet is knowledgable about gliders... Milk fever has never been reported in gliders, and in any cases, even if it existed, it would not apply in this case because basically milk fever is sudden hypocalcemia caused by the 1st production of milk, which implies that it would occure the first time the joey feeds (right after birth when she went in the pouch) long before you would even notice her presence, it would certainly not occure with a fully furred joey who is already out of pouch.

Edited by - sjusovare on Jan 22 2017 10:54:12 AM
Health related
Jan 22 2017
10:23:15 PM
Charyl Joey Visit Charyl's Photo Album 12 Posts
My vet isn't an expert in gliders.Cause I couldn't find any exotic vets in my country.But the mother was a healthy glider and was still active before her sudden death that she was suddenly paralysed and gasping.Does anybody know what's the reason of her death with these symptoms?

It was very heartbreaking to sepreate the joey and the mother, but I already did it.The joey has already have its eyes open but refuse to drink milk.also, this is the third joey of the mother and I have experience hand raising the 2nd joey, but this joey won't even accept any of my food or milk.What should I do? Thanks so much for helping
Health related
Jan 22 2017
11:12:49 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I don't really see a solution other than trying to warm her up before attempting to feed her, and keep on trying (she may just not be hungry yet).

As to what caused the mother's death, it could be a seizure caused by hypoglycemia, by dehydration or by food poisoning (those are the most probable causes over here regarding the symptoms, but depending on your location there may or may not be viral and bacterias diseases affecting gliders as well)

Edited by - sjusovare on Jan 22 2017 11:20:07 PM
Health related
Jan 28 2017
11:53:37 PM
Minxies Glider Visit Minxies's Photo Album Minxies's Journal 51 Posts
As everyone said, do not let baby stay with mama.

I just wanted to pop in to take a moment to educate since I'm in school for Funeral directing.

In ANY case, it's not wise to leave the corpse in cage, or in house.
As soon as something dies, it begins to decompose. With that, a myriad of different diseases, infections, bacteria, and other potentially harmful microorganisms take over since the body's immune system is no longer working.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mama, and I hope the others' suggestions for hand feeding help your baby.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders