GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
The First 2 months
The First 2 months
Question
Jan 24 2017
01:23:03 PM
Hello,
I wanted to ask I have a 8 week old Glider, I read different things on diffrent sites one thing was that for the first 6 weeks that if you have them out bonding with them or playing with them to not let them get on anything besides you or their cage or bonding pouch because it will help them to bond to you sooner and they know can trust you and your safe.

The secound thing I read was to do the above things but also have tent time and let them play with you and toys in the tent.

A couple times i have put her on the floor to see of she would run to me, which she didnt and I have put her on my bed and I have let her explore and she does. Also, I have let 3-4 people hold her and sbe crabed and bite them at first but now crabs once blue moon ar them.

Question: Should I be the only one holding her right now untill she is bonded.

Question: Should I let her explore places off the cage and me even though she is not bonded ?

Question ? She wants to be on my shoulder constantly when not in the pouch and will struggle to dart up me to get to my shoulder, it makes me feel she dont trust me, she dont jump off me but how can i get her to sit on my lap and pet her ? But she will sit on my arm.

Thank you

Lily after day three stoped crabbing at me and never bite me at all then i took her to the vet to get her nails manicured and after she bite the vet trimming her nails she started biting off and on. she will let me touch her hands but now bites me lightly at times any advice ?

Question
Jan 24 2017
07:59:51 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I never had a glider so young, but it sounds pretty normal. I recommend only you and whoever else will be involved with your gliders working with bonding. It doesn't hurt to socialize them more, but feel to start with only main caretakers to ease your glider around other people.
Question
Jan 24 2017
09:45:16 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I don't think her wanting to be on your shoulder is a problem. They naturally want to be higher up since they live in trees, and your shoulder is the highest spot she can reach.

Also I wouldn't let her play in an area she could run away or get hurt in. Make sure whatever room you let her run around in is glider-proof. (or just in tent time).

As for the biting problem: they hate getting their nails clipped. But it's something that has to be done. I recommend petting her paws and holding her paws often, while not clipping her nails. Then she doesn't think that every single time you touch her paws it will result in getting her nails clipped.
Question
Jan 26 2017
12:15:14 AM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you,

Tveit_Mommy: Thank you I am going to do what you suggested, I been holding her feet off and on today. I have been been making plans to go room to room to Glider proof :) Thank you a lot great ideas

Tjones09: Thank you and I am going to do what you suggested it makes sense I don't want to overwhelm her either. Thank you :)
Question
Jan 26 2017
12:32:02 AM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
1.Lily is 8 weeks old Were still bonding I read online somewhere, I was Wanting to know am I supposed to only allow her on me and in her cage only for 6 weeks to help her bond faster and trust me and to know I am her safe spot ?

2.Also am I supposed to let her on other things besides me during bonding ( safe areas rooms, tent time and floors, table with supervision at all times ) ? I thought during bonding more time with the person and less time with the outside world was best

3. Would carrying her in bonding pouch 9 am to 8 pm with breaks in between to restroom and drinks and meals for her be to long ? Also she would have apple slices with her in her bag at all times and water offered at times not in the cage too ?

4. What time do you feed your gliders ?
I currently feed lily at 8 or 9 pm and she eats a little at night but eats through out the day too and thought there supposed to sleep a lot day time.
Question
Jan 26 2017
06:41:22 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by PipersGlider

Question ? She wants to be on my shoulder constantly when not in the pouch and will struggle to dart up me to get to my shoulder, it makes me feel she dont trust me, she dont jump off me but how can i get her to sit on my lap and pet her ? But she will sit on my arm.

glider live in trees, they like to be at the top looking down, on top of their tree is their safe spot, you are their tree.
our gliders don't sit on our laps. daytime they like to sleep inside our shirts or a pocket. nighttime they are awake and like to explore, they may sit on shoulder or hang off front of shirt while walking, but as soon as we stop and sit, its night time - EXPLORE TIME and off they go.

a furry lap animal is a small dog or cat.
The First 2 months

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
The First 2 months