Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Unsure what to do
Unsure what to do
Information
Jan 26 2017
01:35:00 PM
Hello, I am hoping putting these queations in the right area if not my appologies.

1.Lily is 8 weeks old Were still bonding I read online somewhere, I was Wanting to know am I supposed to only allow her on me and in her cage only for 6 weeks to help her bond faster and trust me and to know I am her safe spot ?

2.Also am I supposed to let her on other things besides me during bonding ( safe areas rooms, tent time and floors, table with supervision at all times ) ? I thought during bonding more time with the person and less time with the outside world was best

3. Would carrying her in bonding pouch 9 am to 8 pm with breaks in between to restroom and drinks and meals for her be to long ? Also she would have apple slices with her in her bag at all times and water offered at times not in the cage too ?

4. What time do you feed your gliders ?
I currently feed lily at 8 or 9 pm and she eats a little at night but eats through out the day too and thought there supposed to sleep a lot day time.
Information
Jan 26 2017
05:33:39 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
number 3. I would limit the time in bonding pouch, my wife's most favorite has several hours a day to start bonding. now she may put him in bra and he will sometimes stay there all day sleeping. specially if you have more then one in cage, they also like to sleep together all curled up and warm. I don't think longer times is bad, but just not completely important.. see last paragraph.

Number 4. We put food in cage about 10 pm, our 3 colony wakes up at 10 pm, our 7 colony wakes up at 11 to 12 midnight. it takes some time for new gliders to get into a habit. our 7 colony eats well and sleeps almost all day. Our newer 3 colony wouldn't eat the HPW much and barely touched fruits and veggies, soon they were eating the hpw well. then it seemed like WEEKS before they would even eat the fruits/veggies. Now they eat hpw and spit it all over kitchen wall, and eat up lots of the veggies and fruits.

first 2 questions: I see bonding with your glider, which is programmed to see you as a super large predator as slowly understanding you are NOT going to eat them, and you are part of their colony. I see things like your scent, darkish room, GLIDER safe room, a tasty snack as important, not time with outside world. Gliders are explorers and food scavengers, so letting them run around a large room doesn't seem to hurt our bonding. You most make your glider room safe and with no run away spots, an unbonded glider might not come back, and finding them is HARD. if your scent is all messed up with perfumes fancy soaps or steak or cheeseburger, your glider may struggle to figure out if you are friend or enemy or food. Our gliders love live mealies and some may accidentally take our finger with the mealie, very painful, other gliders never get my finger. a tasty live or freeze dried meal worm will keep your glider knowing your a good place to hang out during bonding tent time.

SINGLE FILE FOR FOOD, YOUR MOMMIES HAS THE TREATS.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jan 26 2017 05:39:06 PM
Information
Jan 26 2017
06:31:05 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I agree with BYK, they can run around the room and explore while still bonding to you.

I have had Tveit with me for 10 hours before, and as long as it's during his sleep hours he's perfectly happy. Of course, I offer water and bathroom breaks (which he hates because I wake him up). I don't do this very often though, he still needs cage time. When he's in the bonding pouch on me he doesn't sleep as well as he would in a nice, quiet room.

Keep a piece of fleece with your scent in her pouches while she sleeps. Offer treats with your hands. Talk to her whenever you can. Sometimes when I talk to Tveit he squeaks at me (not crabbing, it's a "shut up" noise, not an afraid noise) because he's sleeping but I do it anyway because I love him!

As long as your around and your scent is around (and you give her yummy treats) the bonding will happen

Edited by - Tveit_Momma on Jan 26 2017 06:31:53 PM
Information
Jan 27 2017
04:39:33 AM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you !

Tveit_momma: That's good ideas and I will keep a scent fleece in with her pouch from now on. Tveit squeaking sounds adorable. your right thank you for reminding me they need quiet cage sleeping time to :) I

BYK_Chainsaw: Thank you I appreciate all the information it is really helpful and useful and it's all very valuable and I will be using those suggestions with my sugar bear. You all have really Pretty sugar gliders and a really nice set up for them. once again thank for taking your time by helping me because I want to give my glider the best care as possible, I am grateful to having the pleasure to have one:):)
Information
Jan 28 2017
07:11:53 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
If you don't have a safe room for her to run around with you can always get a tent and do tent time.
Unsure what to do

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Unsure what to do