Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
snelly suggies
snelly suggies
Information
Feb 10 2017
01:27:45 AM
Hi, today I bought 2 suggies, female and male. Female is pregnant. What I must give them to eat?? And they have awful smell what can i do to get ride of this smell??? Please somebody help #128591;#127995;#128591;#127995;#128591;#127995;
quote:

Information
Feb 11 2017
10:08:21 AM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Intact males will smell as they have scent glands that produce an oily substance used to mark territory. Getting him neutered by a vet that is experienced with gliders.
Diet can be a factor to some degree as well but it sounds like it's the male.
Even intact gliders will have an odour but I don't find it that bad.
Please don't try and bath him as if they get wet they are more susceptible to chills and respiratory infection.
You can try air purifiers but they are expensive. They will help to cover the smell a bit. They scent Mark almost everything so if you use fleece you may want to swap them out more often. Another thing is the more you clean the more he may mark. For example you pull out all toys and wash and clean the whole cage. That may stress the glider out as he knows it should smell so he will work double time remarking everything in excess making it worse than before.
I'd recommend cleaning only half the cage at a time to reduce over marking.
It is completely normal. I'm not sure if neutering a mature male helps with marking I only know that if you fix them before they mature they don't develop the scent glands at least not to the degree of an intact male.
snelly suggies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
snelly suggies