Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Time to give my gliders away?
Food, Diet
Feb 13 2017
01:41:20 AM
So I have 3 beautiful gliders that I love very very dearly and who I spoil rotten. 2 standard girls who are 2 years old and one platinum boy ( neutered ) who is 1. They live in a large Madagascar cage that's filled with toys I bought off of 'spoiled rotten suggies' and beautiful sets. I feed them fresh fruits and proteins every night with calcium powder sprinkled on top. They are very active with such wonderful personalities and are super healthy. Lately, I've kind of been on the fence of giving them away honestly. It would hurt me very deeply, and I'd make sure they're in the right hands. I don't want them separated at all and I want someone experienced. I'm still debating on this. I'm getting a new puppy in May and I know it'll be lots of work and honestly I'm not sure if having a puppy in the same room with gliders is safe while I'm away at work and so forth. If someone could give me some advice it be perfect. I'm located in Georgia by the way. Thank you so much.
Food, Diet
Feb 13 2017
06:16:59 AM
Minxies Glider Visit Minxies's Photo Album Minxies's Journal 51 Posts
Is it possible to move the Glider cage in to another room where you might be able to close the door when you go to work; like a spare bedroom?

I know when my first Glider Ithil, was managing to get out of the original cage I bought from the breeder I picked her up from- I had a smaller backup cage I'd place in my half-bathroom and I'd shut the door and place a towel at the bottom. (And put the lid to my toilet down) so if she got loose, she'd just run around my half-bathroom as opposed to getting in to things in my bedroom.

Or maybe put up a babygate to the Glider's area while you're gone?

Or even a dog crate when you go to work so the puppy isn't loose during the day?

Merely suggestions~ I'd hate for you to give up your babies without evaluating all other possible options.

A new animal is always going to make for more work, but I promise it's not impossible.
right now I have my 2 sugar gliders and my betta fish (Doesn't sound like work, but he is trust me LOL!)
and I also help my parents with their 4 cats, and dog at their house.

Edited by - Minxies on Feb 13 2017 06:19:08 AM
Food, Diet
Feb 13 2017
05:40:59 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Many glider owners also have dogs and manage to keep them safely separated. And how can you be sure you would find someone who would love your babies as much as you do?
Food, Diet
Feb 13 2017
07:18:23 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
A lot of good points have been made, while I believe no one is telling what to do or not to do, but it's natural to encourage you to consider all the possibilities. I personally have a dog and a trio of sugar gliders, and although every situation and dog is different, there are actually ways to keep your gliders protected from a puppy in training.

I had a couple of lizards, one was a leopard gecko that was actually my son's. I took over the care of him because I was so attached to him. About a year later I got myself a Rankins bearded dragon whom became very tame with me. I had to keep both lizards in a separate room because I didn't want to stress them out. I adopted a puppy (rescue about 6 months old) while I had the two lizards. My little dragon used to sit on my arm while we all sat on my loveseat looking out the window, that's my dragon, my dog, and myself. I never let any of the lizards roam and run about in the same room with my dog because although I believe she learned they were part of the family, I was afraid the "chase instinct" would kick in and she could possibly hurt them. But with my supervision, she was fine with them. After a couple of years later, after both of my lizards had past, I homed a pair of female sugar gliders, and the same applies to them, my dog seems to understand their importance, but I don't risk free roaming in the same room. But in normal situations, when supervised, my dog has shown no desire to harm them.
Food, Diet
Feb 14 2017
10:20:27 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I had the same type of situation as TJones once. I was in middle school, and had a hamster. I got a cat while still owning the hamster, and both would be in my room at the same time. The cat would chase and kill other rodents, but not my hamster. I believe this is because when she came close to him (under my supervision) I would hiss at her, or push her away from my hamster, or pet them both at the same time so she seemed to know he was "important" to me and not to harm him. They were never allowed out at the same time unsupervised, but she never tried to get into the cage either.

One time my hamster escaped into my room while I was at school. My mother saw this and freaked out (she's afraid of hamsters) and took me home early. When I went to my room, my cat was in it, sniffing my hamster who was running along the wall. She didn't harm him. It was a miracle.

This isn't to say that other animals would react the same way. A puppy is a puppy, and playfully could harm your gliders. That being said, I do believe training works. A puppy who learns what a glider is -- and that it's not food -- should leave them alone, if trained properly.

I also believe crate training a puppy while you're trying to potty train them is a great thing to do. Other people don't like putting them in a crate, which I understand, but it's easier in my opinion to potty train them if they're in a crate while unsupervised, so they don't mess in the house.

Keeping the gliders in a blocked-off room, if you don't want to crate train, is probably the best option in my opinion.
Food, Diet
Mar 22 2017
04:03:29 PM
LukeandLeia Starting Member Visit LukeandLeia's Photo Album 6 Posts
Well I think it depends on the dog size and personality. I have a mini yorkie not in the same room and she was at first really curious about the gliders and try to smell them, if the glider happened to run the yorkie follow it around, but never bite each other. Now when Im in the gliders room, I let the dog in, she smells the cage and sits aside, and so far everything is fine maybe past the curiosity dogs just leave them alone.
Food, Diet
Mar 22 2017
09:12:57 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Lots of great advice here! You obviously love your gliders and take very good care of them. Personally I couldn't imagine parting with any of my pets but only you can decide what is best for you. One option is to keep your gliders for the time being and see how it goes with the new puppy. Since the gliders are already established in your home, your new puppy will be used to them from day 1 (but separating them when unsupervised is wise). If you decide that it's still too much, you can always make that decision then. Best of luck to you!
Food, Diet
Mar 22 2017
09:31:09 PM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
My dog LOVES squirrels. I've been really afraid with my new gliders that she would possibly be too aggressive with them. Second night home they were running around in the cage. My dog absolutely perked up, but after I said, "No" any time she showed interest in them, she seemed to get the message.

Last night she came up to the cage and smelled one of them, but showed zero aggression. I don't allow her in the same room when I'm taking them out (just in case) but so far she seems ok with them, and that's really surprising. I think she can tell from me that they are off limits. I think a puppy would definitely be more teachable as well.

But I think your question more relates to if YOU are going to have the energy to keep up with them. There is no harm in wanting the best for your gliders. If they're better off with you, then keep them. But if you see that you can't give them the time they need, then there is no shame on you for needing to find them a new home. You are doing the responsible thing. When I searched for my gliders I was specifically looking for someone that wanted their gliders to go to a good home. I know that gliders start up is not cheap! So it was my hope to find someone who just wanted their guys to go to someone who knew gliders and had the time for them. After a few months I found my boys. That's to say that I am sure there is someone out there who totally understands your position, and could be a perfect match.
Food, Diet
Mar 27 2017
10:53:00 AM
Glider questions Joey 29 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Minxies

Is it possible to move the Glider cage in to another room where you might be able to close the door when you go to work; like a spare bedroom?

I know when my first Glider Ithil, was managing to get out of the original cage I bought from the breeder I picked her up from- I had a smaller backup cage I'd place in my half-bathroom and I'd shut the door and place a towel at the bottom. (And put the lid to my toilet down) so if she got loose, she'd just run around my half-bathroom as opposed to getting in to things in my bedroom.

Or maybe put up a babygate to the Glider's area while you're gone?

Or even a dog crate when you go to work so the puppy isn't loose during the day?

Merely suggestions~ I'd hate for you to give up your babies without evaluating all other possible options.

A new animal is always going to make for more work, but I promise it's not impossible.
right now I have my 2 sugar gliders and my betta fish (Doesn't sound like work, but he is trust me LOL!)
and I also help my parents with their 4 cats, and dog at their house.

i agree do you have another room. we have a puppy and we keep our gliders in a separate room and keep it shut at all time away from our puppy. so you dont have to get rid of them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders