Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar gliders don't notice water bottle!
Question
Feb 13 2017
11:11:17 AM
We got our 2 sugar gliders a few days ago, and we've seen them eating and exploring their cage, so they seem to know where everything is... except the water bottle. They don't seem to notice it at all! I'm not sure if the breeder they came from used a water bottle or a bowl somewhere, but I thought it would be less messy with a water bottle. Sometimes they sniff around the area it is, but never actually drink. I have fed them water with a syringe as I'm worried that they'll get dehydrated and die or something, but I obviously can't continue like that, and it'll probably encourage bad habits. I don't know what to do to make them notice the water though.
Question
Feb 13 2017
01:06:06 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello! Congratulations on your new little fuzz butts!

When I got mine I put something yummy on the tip of the water bottle right before they woke up so that when they're sniffing around they find it and give it a try. For mine it was yogurt, but you could also probably do a dab of honey. Just be sure to wash it the next day! After a day or two of that, they know where to find the water.
Question
Feb 13 2017
05:25:11 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
LOL. I just thought of when I tried to teach chickens where the water bottle was. I would squeeze a drop out and they would follow it to the bottom of the cage where it fell through the wire. they would peck at the wire, but of course the water was gone.

I would think that the gliders are smarter that those chickens. They get most of their water from the food they eat, but if they were thirsty wouldn't their nose lead them to the water bottle? Kferg's idea couldn't hurt.
Question
Feb 13 2017
09:12:35 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
It's quite possible they know where the water supply is and you just haven't seen them drink. You wouldn't actually notice that the bottle was getting empty so fast because as stated already, they get most water/fluids from their fruit, veggies, and nectar. However, it is also possible that they haven't figured out the water supply, and so I recommend trying what Kferg suggested to be on the safe side.

Just for a future suggestion though, with water bottles it's recommended to have two. I personally prefer water silos, like these They can be picked up at Petco or PetSmart as well I believe. I tried these and never went back to bottles (except under a couple of rare occasions). They are super easy to remove, clean, fill, and replace. The bowl is so small that it's less likely to become contaminated like an actual bowl would.
Question
Feb 14 2017
03:05:52 PM
MSSHA Joey 29 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I might try a silo, but for now, I'll just try putting honey on the nozzle of the water bottle.
Question
Feb 14 2017
06:09:05 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Walmart has silos for less than $2. I have 2 on each cage. I think they are easier to clean and change than a regular water bottle, and it is easier to see the water level and they won't clog up.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders