Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cleaning new and unbonded sugar gliders?
Health related
Feb 15 2017
07:07:41 AM
So I just bought both of my babies yesterday, they are both females and two months old. One of my gliders pee a lot causing her body and fur around her back and tail become really wet and smelly. I know that gliders tend to pee a lot in their new home, and they can groom and clean themselves. But I am getting worried because she did not really groom herself and she keeps on getting her body wet. I can't clean her properly because she is not used to human hands and not bonded to me yet, and i also worried if it will take much more time for them to be bonded with me since they get treated pretty badly by humans before. If this continue, can it cause somethings like skin disease? I know I just have them for literally one day and it is still too soon to ask questions like this. But I can't help but to worry if this is going to continue for a pretty long time, so I need some tips to clean unbonded gliders in case this continues for a long time.

And I am also not sure if I should post this question here lol. I am new to this site but I have read some posta in here before I bought my sugar gliders #128517;

Edited by - Hadi1397 on Feb 15 2017 07:12:55 AM
Health related
Feb 15 2017
01:09:17 PM
MSSHA Joey 29 Posts
You could try rubbing a damp cloth, but not baby wipes, over her while she's sleeping or sleepy in a gentle way, like stroking her I guess, but you're not usually meant to wash them or anything. I recently got mine, and sometimes they get really messy with their food, but within no time they're fine again. Can you still see the wetness on her quite some time later? It probably won't keep happening though...
Health related
Feb 15 2017
02:25:43 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
It's odd that she goes in her pouch. Could be cause she's scared. If you take there sleeping pouch out to bond she might be peeing in pouch out of fear.
If it continues you may wanna take her to vet to rule out a bladder infection or uti. If you can maybey do that first. Put 2 sleeping pouches in the cage also bonding using a small tent or glider safe bathroom.
Health related
Feb 15 2017
10:04:46 PM
Hadi1397 Joey 12 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by MSSHA

You could try rubbing a damp cloth, but not baby wipes, over her while she's sleeping or sleepy in a gentle way, like stroking her I guess, but you're not usually meant to wash them or anything. I recently got mine, and sometimes they get really messy with their food, but within no time they're fine again. Can you still see the wetness on her quite some time later? It probably won't keep happening though...

I have read about rubbing them with damp clothe, but whenever theyre asleep, they will wake up immediately and become hysterical if I try to sneak my finger into their hammock :'). The wetness do reduced, but it increased again some times later. Thank you very much for your response
Health related
Feb 15 2017
10:09:52 PM
Hadi1397 Joey 12 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by NyxandBenny

It's odd that she goes in her pouch. Could be cause she's scared. If you take there sleeping pouch out to bond she might be peeing in pouch out of fear.
If it continues you may wanna take her to vet to rule out a bladder infection or uti. If you can maybey do that first. Put 2 sleeping pouches in the cage also bonding using a small tent or glider safe bathroom.

I can tell that she pees alot in their pouch because there were almost no pee stain on the bottom of the cage where I lay on some newspaper. But now I can see that she groom herself a bit mlre than the first day :)).
I will do that if this continue for a pretty long time. Thank you for your help.
Health related
Feb 16 2017
03:29:24 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Yeah the stress levels will usually be fairly high the first week or month. It's sometimes recommended to not bother tgem much the first week so they can get used of there new environment before you introduce. I waited 2 weeks to start handling them but I did use fleese with my scent on it started on day 3 or 4
Health related
Feb 17 2017
06:55:16 AM
Hadi1397 Joey 12 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by NyxandBenny

Yeah the stress levels will usually be fairly high the first week or month. It's sometimes recommended to not bother tgem much the first week so they can get used of there new environment before you introduce. I waited 2 weeks to start handling them but I did use fleese with my scent on it started on day 3 or 4

I have just started to pet them a little, and sometimes would try to put my fingers in the edge of their hammock whil theyre inside or sleeping for them to get used of my smell. Thanks for the tips

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders