Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Advice on what I should do with my two gliders
Question
Feb 16 2017
02:57:12 PM
Hello, my name is Alexis. After a lot of begging, I finally recieved permission from my mother to purchase another pet. More specifically, one to call my own. I looked at various animals ranging from cats and dogs. But because I would be moving out of my home soon, I thought it was best to find a pet that doesn't require a fee at an apartment. So I decided sugar gliders would be a good fit. I did a lot of research and purchased the proper supplies. I found the perfect pair on craigslist. They are two male brothers and I got them and the cage for $450. It hasn't been that long since I've had them, however, I'm having second guesses. Believe me, I thought it through very througholoy before purchasing them but things are different now that I have them. I thought I would have enough time for them but I unfortunately don't have enough to bond with them properly. I care for them well, but I feel they deserve to go to someone who has more time for them. I also didn't think to much about the money aspect that I will need the money for my apartment that is quickly approraching. So I am now debating if I should sell them or keep them? I think I should because I don't have the time to properly bond and play with them also the money aspect. But I think not because I sorta developed a bond myself with them. What is your advice?
Question
Feb 18 2017
01:34:02 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
This is such a difficult decision and really one that only you have the answer to. I know that I would try everything possible to keep my gliders because I just couldn't bear to part with them. It's obvious you love your gliders and want them to be happy. Fortunately you have two so they can keep each other company. Is there any way you can bring them with you in a bonding pouch when you go out? Can you devote an hour a day to playing with them? As far as the financial aspect, I find gliders are pretty economical to care for. You can make your own toys for them and there are diets that aren't too pricey. You probably should have a vet fund though, just in case. I wish you well as you decide what is best for you and your gliders.
Question
Feb 18 2017
09:34:52 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
lexi, I'm glad that you found this forum and believe it's good to ask for advice and input from others with experience prior to making a huge decision, you may find some helpful insight. Tiakristin is correct when saying it's your decision and it's a tough one to make.

That being said, I'd like to try to give you as brief a summery of my experience and hopefully give some insight to help come to the conclusion that works best for you and your gliders. This still could be quite long, but please read the entire reply, you may find similarities to your situation, as I've experienced much diverse situations that had me consider rehoming, and why I chose not to. I'm also adding pics, just to make this more pleasant :)

The Back Story:
When I discovered sugar gliders, I also did some research, (however wasn't from the forums). I found a pair of females (Lulu & Skadoosh aprox 1 yr old on CL that needed a new home, they came with a decent cage it appeared and few accessories.

My attempts to bond was cut short by the hostile attitude from one of my gliders (Lulu). I also had began to second question my decision to home them. It was a while, I'm not sure exactly how long after homing them before I turned to the forums. I learned that gliders have different personalities and it wasn't unusual for one to be more friendly (Skadoosh) and one to, well let's just say not friendly (spawn of satan). Well, she wasn't actually spawn of satan, just a terrified, unsociable, and perhaps a bit neurotic glider.

Discovered From My Experience:
Although the more time you spend with your gliders the quicker and perhaps closer bond you develop with them, you do not have to spend an hour or more a day to develop that trust.

-I offered flavored, non-fat yogurt on a spoon, starting outside the cage due to Lulu attacking my hand instead of enjoying the treat. I progressed to offering inside on a spoon. I never got brave enough to use my finger though, lol.
-I started with short "out of cage" visits (about 10 minutes) most evenings and some early mornings. This was done almost daily, but sometimes I'd have have to skip a day.
-After finding the forums I started doing daytime "pouch time". Where I would take them out while in their sleeping pouch and hold them, gently rub/massage the gliders from outside the pouch, again for only short time (about 10-15 minutes), most days. I had treats handy to offer when they popped their heads out of the pouch and then would pet their heads a little.
-After a couple of weeks I began doing the "out of cage" play in the bathroom (glider-proofed). This I did usually 3 times a week, evenings or early mornings (early mornings being my favorite when schedule permits) for at least 30 minutes or more.
-After bathroom playtime started, I did less and less "pouch time" during the day.
***This routine forged a very good relationship with my girls, and my Lulu came a long way.
Me holding Lulu after a nail trim

So hopefully you can see that you do not need hours every day to develop a proper relationship with your gliders. Each glider is unique and it may take longer for some than for others, and the depth of the trust is also variable. In truth, yes the more time most likely the quickest and deepest bond, but you can have happy gliders and enjoy building a relationship with less time available.

Part Two:
I did end up homing a single male, and was able to have them all together, but it was only for a few months before I had to move across country. Since then, my life has been turned inside out and upside down, I won't bother with all the details. I'll just give facts that revolve around my gliders and the changes in our routine and tell you it involved yet another move back across country.
-My living situation as never been the same and I wasn't able to get my gliders out for play time but for a couple months or so. Then when I was able to, it was not ideal situation to fall into a routine, so it was few & far between.
-Yes, there was a change in my relationship with my gliders, a change in my gliders, but there still remained trust.
-I was still able to provide for their needs and devote time to proper care.
-This went on for a couple of years before I've been able to find a solution for some "out of cage" play and have been trying to stick to a routine. It's not like they once had, but it's time and it's improving my gliders relationship with me.

Prior To The 2nd Move:
-I faced the realization I may not be able to keep my gliders due to financial reasons. I contemplated rehoming them again, but hung on because I was afraid of not knowing how their lives would turn out. I asked myself. Would they be taken care of the way I wanted them to be? And Would they get more or less attention and care that I can give? I held on, hoping things would change, it turned out a return across country move was necessary for me to survive my financial crisis.

The New Routine:
I'm trying to fit a routine into my schedule which is extremely difficult with my situation. The shared bathroom is not easily glider-proofed and the downsizing of my bed size (from q to f) is not easily conducive to set the tent up for proper room, and absolutely no floor space for a tent.
-I'm doing "out of cage" visits close to what I did in the beginning. I try to get in 2-3 visits with one at least being 30 minutes or more.
-I'm still able to take care of their needs to a level I feel comfortable with.

So, if you were able to read this entire reply, you will see I faced a couple of different situations where I considered rehoming. I personally chose not, yes it required sacrifices with my living situation (I'd had rather not have moved back across country), but it's working out for the best for me and for them.

Make yourself a list of questions that you can think of about your gliders and your personal situation.

See if you still feel that you can provide (time wise/financial) what you feel comfortable with keeping your gliders, and consider what you ultimately feel is better for your gliders.

One thing to consider, how many homes have these gliders had? Then ask yourself what is more far to them.

Question
Feb 18 2017
07:36:37 PM
lexi6710 Starting Member 7 Posts

NOTE:

To also make everyone aware, I've only had them for about a week now. Not much bonding has begun, nor do I have bonding pouches currently. This will be the first time I will be moving out EVER and I don't know if I can provide them the proper diet or time. I don't even know if I'll be able to support myself comfortably. I'm afraid I won't be able to care for them comfortably either. I'm not going to college until the next year and I think that'll only make things harder on me and them to support. But since I'm taking a gap year, I will be getting a. apartment. I think that a lot of my money will end up going to that instead of them and my full time job I will hopefully be having by then. I'm having a few doubts because they literally just got re-located into my home and I don't know if they'll be ready to handle being able to be moved again. But I feel like they will adjust with time, especially if they have the right person to dedicate time to them and be financially stable for them. I know I will be struggling moving out. Almost everyone does their first time. So I don't think it would be fair for me to keep them.
Question
Feb 18 2017
09:03:24 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. With that said... I don't understand why your asking for opinions.

As much as I like to see owners keep their gliders and prevent the gliders from being bounced around from home to home.... if they aren't a right fit then they aren't the right fit. Either Find a reputable rescue that has space available and the ability to rehome them to someone that they are right for. Or sell them.

We can't tell you to keep them or give them up, that decision has to be yours and yours alone, just like the decision to get them was.

Edited by - Leela on Feb 18 2017 09:18:28 PM
Question
Feb 18 2017
10:25:07 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Yes, please do take great care as to whom you home them to. Leela made a great suggestion finding a reputable rescue to help. If they can't personally take them into their care, they may be able to help find a new forever home or even foster home, but I think they'd do much better not bouncing around.

Question
Feb 18 2017
10:31:20 PM
I don't have my mind made up, that's why I'm asking for advice. I don't want to put them under more stress by re-homing them, but I'm not sure if I would provide them with the proper environment. I don't know much about living on my own, but from what I heard, it's hard. I don't even work right now and can't dedicate the right time to them, I can't imagine when I get a full time job. I care for them and have started to develop a bond, but I'm not sure if it's selfish of me to keep them. They are animals that require special needs. I want to be able to do my best, but I don't know if I will be able to once I move. So no, I don't have my mind made up. I'm unsure if it'll be manageable once I move to make sure they have enough time dedicated to them. Also, if I will be able to make enough to afford their diets. I will probably have to resort to buying microwaveable foods for myself. And with the prices of fruits and veggies, I may not have enough for them. I don't know. I'm just confused and indecisive is all. I'm not at all asking anyone what I should do, but what is in their best interest.

Edited by - lexi6710 on Feb 18 2017 10:35:01 PM
Question
Feb 18 2017
11:53:15 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude or even unhelpful. Honestly there is no way for us to know what is in your gliders best interest, it might be you, it might not be.

We don't know you, we don't know your gliders, we don't know what your financial status is now or will be in the future OR what has changed in one weeks time since you got them to make you feel this way.

You maybe a fantastic glider owner, or you may not be.

What I do know is, your asking a group of strangers online to tell you what is in your gliders best interest, that you have had for a whole week. If I asked you what was in my gliders best interest would you be able to tell me??? Again I'm not trying to be rude, just putting it into perspective for you what it is like reading these kinds of posts. Your asking us to evaluate your situation that we know nothing about.

If I tell you " I think you should keep them and I'm sure you will be ok eating microwave food so you can provide the gliders food" how responsible is that advice ??? It's not. You have an awful lot of variables and what if's that haven't even happened yet, we can't possibly know how any of that will work out. Does your future apartment allow pets? can you afford a pet deposit if they ask for one? if they don't allow pets will you sneak them in anyway?

Do you have money set aside for vet care? Are the boys neutered? have they had a wellness exam and fecals done since you got them? Gliders that are obtained from Craisglist are not always in the healthiest state, I know because I have worked with a lot of Craigslist gliders, rescued surrendered and rehomed gliders and rescue facilities.

Overwhelming, yes, I know. But it's also the reality. I can tell you my experience as Tjones has done, but what is that going to do for you in your situation? I can tell you my gliders needs come before my own. I can tell you I have struggled with thinking I was not in the best interest for one of my gliders and I considered rehoming her, I can tell you after considering it at length she stayed and I am so happy she did.

I can also tell you that my experience is not the same as yours is. I can tell you I am not fully financially responsible for my glider my bf pays for all the food and supplies. Of course that's not going to help you because that is not your situation, it's mine.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, I hope you figure it out. It sounds like you care about them so either way I'm sure you will make the decision that is best for you and for them. Good luck
Question
Feb 19 2017
08:22:28 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I just wanted to address your "selfish" comment. Having pets is not selfish, unless you are keeping them to fulfill your own needs and desires even though you know they'd be better off somewhere else. I truly sympathize with your dilemma. The fact that you are putting so much time and thought into this decision shows how much you care about them and want their best. Wishing you all the best and peace with your decision. Please keep us posted.
Question
Feb 22 2017
07:26:18 AM
I've decided to sell them. I believe it would be best for them to be with someone who already has experience with gliders, has time for them, etc. My family is going through a lot right now. On top of that I have to put all of my focus on completing high school and finding an apartment. I also don't think I'm mentally fit to care for them. I have extreme OCD when it comes to my hands and scents. I just don't think I'm fit to care for them. Reading about them is one thing, but experiencing it is another. They are very sweet and I wish that I did have the time and mental stability to do so, but I just don't. Will I feel bad that they'll be re-homes again? Of coarse. But they will adjust and they will have the proper home.
Question
Feb 22 2017
10:33:54 AM
GliderGirl415 Starting Member 7 Posts
Lexi, Do you have a bonding pouch? These are VERY important in the bonding process and could help you a lot. You can take your sugar gliders anywhere in a bonding pouch and they will bond to you in the process. You could take them to work, or the store, or the mall, and nobody will know. There are also bonding scarves if the pouch is, and I quote "not very fashionable". So if you love these guys and don't want to sell them, get one!
Question
Feb 22 2017
10:40:54 AM
I was planning on getting a bonding pouch, but they are already under a lot of stress and I feel like that will make them more stressed if I bring them to places that are loud. For example school, outside, etc. and I haven't really bonded too much with them. So if I did and I wanted to give them a snack, they will escape. They aren't close with me nor tamed. I believe this is for the best for them.
Question
Feb 23 2017
01:06:40 PM
GliderGirl415 Starting Member 7 Posts
I felt the same way at first. What I did was I just took them around the house in the bonding pouch, just to get them used to it before I took them outside. If they have a little blanket or cloth or something in their cage, maybe pop them into the pouch before putting that in so that the pouch smells familiar, so they won't be so stressed. My gliders LOVED the pouch, I would just pop a little orange slice in every once in a while and they were fine. Sugar gliders get most of their water from their food, so you won't have to worry about giving them water as long as they have food.

Edited by - GliderGirl415 on Feb 23 2017 01:07:45 PM
Question
Feb 23 2017
01:16:02 PM
I appreciate the advice but I'm already setting up something with a woman who is interested in them. It would very difficult to clean their cage in an apartment. What if the apartment doesn't have a hose available? And I definitely would not clean the cage in my bathtub. It wouldn't make much sense for me to keep them if things would be difficult to care for them.
Question
Feb 23 2017
01:18:15 PM
There's just a lot of factors I'm considering that would make care for them very difficult, especially me moving by myself for the first time

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders