Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP - Gliders Will Not Stop Chasing/Fighting
Behavior
Feb 18 2017
09:29:50 PM
Looking for advice for two gliders that have not bonded to each other after almost a year.

Long story short: I adopted a lone glider from an acquaintance about two years ago. She was alone because her sister had passed away, and her owner said he did not have time to spend with her and felt bad that she was alone. After having her for about two years I decided to look into a companion glider and found a single glider at a local-ish rescue. They are both females are aren't too far apart in age - my original glider, Pocket, is 4-5 years old and the new glider, Buttons, is 2 1/2 years old.

I have tried everything I could get my hands on to get them to bond to each other, but Pocket will NOT stop chasing Buttons. Period. I've tried introducing them in a neutral space with no treats, put their cages next to each other so they could get used to their scents, switched out their pouches for the same reasons, etc. But nothing I've done has helped. If I left Pocket out of her cage, she will go straight over to Buttons' cage and chase her around from the outside almost relentlessly. She does take breaks once in awhile, but she will always go back to chasing her around after a few minutes. The few times I have introduced them outside of their cages in a neutral space, Pocket will chase her until she catches her and pounce on her. They will fight and scrabble for a few second until Buttons can get away, and then Pocket will continue chasing her. Every time I've had to break them up and separate them (wearing gloves).

It's been this way for almost a year now and I'm at my wit's end. I wanted a companion for my glider and ended up with two single gliders. If I can't get them to bond, I think I will have to take Buttons back to the rescue she came from. I have the time to spend with one glider or with a bonded pair that could play together, but trying to take care of two single gliders has not been working out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Behavior
Feb 18 2017
10:32:12 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm sorry for you experience. I wish I had a suggestion that would make a difference, but if you have tried for that long and Pocket is still not accepting Buttons I don't know there is much more you could try.

One thing I could suggest, not sure if you tried would be to wear them each in a separate bonding pouch, overlapped with the screens facing each other. You can try this for a while and see if they settle down and monitor Pocket's behavior towards Buttons.

I recommend talking to the rescue and see what they say, I feel bad for you and Buttons, maybe they can help. Or maybe someone who has more experience will help with advice soon.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders