Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
NEED HELP FAST INTRODUCING NEW GLIDER TO A PAIR GLIDERS
Question
Feb 20 2017
04:40:39 AM
So I just recently got a pair of female gliders and both are around 2 months old. They are not used to human because that got treated pretty badly by the place where I bought them, and I am in the middle of bonding with them.

BUT THEN MY GIRLFIEND'S FRIEND WHO ALSO GOT A GLIDER ABOUT A DAY OR TWO AFTER I GOT MINE WANTED TO GIVE ME HER GLIDER BECAUSE SHE SAID HER GLIDER ARE STRESSED BECAUSE SHE IS ALONE AND DID NOT WANT TO EAT. And she already have her for about 3 or 4 days now i think. Her glider is used to human and have no difficulties with new people as well, but she is stressed and did not want to eat.

So I might take my friend's glider home tomorrow. I know it is a stupid idea for me to take another glider in while mine are not even bonded to me yet (but they are getting used to me tho), but I am the only person she knows that have another glider and that's why I am the only one that can help her and her glider.

I don't think her glider is stressed because of new environment change because her glider looked like a really flexible glider as she did not even got scared by my friend when they met at petshop and she could just take her and pet her instantly.

Her glider should be around the same age as mine, and they are all females. I don't have other cage tho, and I really need this communities helps or tips or even just thoughts about how to introducing a new glider(used to human) to a pair of gliders(not used to human).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Hadi1397 on Feb 20 2017 04:52:58 AM
Question
Feb 20 2017
05:06:14 AM
Hadi1397 Joey 12 Posts
And for your information, my friend already had lots of sugar gliders before, but this is the first time she only got one. So I trust her judgement to say that her glider really is stressed because she is alone.
Question
Feb 20 2017
05:38:57 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi! Welcome!
Congratulations on your new gliders!

Before you take your friend's glider in, you will need to make sure you have another cage to keep her in for a 30 day quarantine. You can keep the cage in the same room as the other gliders' cage, as long as they are far apart and can't touch, and the gliders won't climb on each other's cage during play time.

After the 30 day quarantine you can start scent swapping by switching out pouches and toys from cage to cage. After a couple of weeks of that, you can try introductions in a neutral location like a bath tub (hole plugged) during the day when they are sleeping. You can introduce one glider from the pair at a time.

Introducing gliders can be easy, but sometimes it's challenging as well. You can search the topic on this site for more info.

I'm not sure where you're from, but maybe a vet visit for your friend's glider is also in order just to be sure she is healthy and that the reason for her not eating isn't that she is sick.

Good luck! Ask questions any time.
Question
Feb 20 2017
06:07:43 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think it is a very bad idea to rush an introduction. this can lead to fights and injury. I would advice taking as LONG as possible to get a good introduction.
My wife has done 4 introductions, if the gliders except each other it can be easy, but rushing has no benefits only risks.

I think 3 or 4 days is very soon to tell if a glider is "depressed". That could just be the way the glider is all the time. Also, we got 3 gliders, put them on the HPW diet and they only eat the HPW some they eat NO fruits and veggies for about a MONTH. then finally they start eating the fruits and veggies, after about another month they actually eat most of it.

the last 3 gliders we got were living 2 in one cage and one in a cage. the previous owner had tried introductions but one just chased the other female. We got them and the single one was half crazy, repetitive jumping, very scared and jumpy. We got the 3 together in one cage after some scent training, we shorten it since they had been together in close cages already. The single one did chase the other female for a week or so a few times a night, no fighting. Now all three are doing great and the previous single jumpy one is so much better, calm and friendly.

Question
Feb 20 2017
08:47:06 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I agree, with already given advice. I don't understand why you need to rush, but then I don't know your complete situation.

Can you keep two cages while you wait to follow quarantine protocol?

If the single glider is definitely stressed due to being a lone glider, which may or may not be the case, there are other factors involved such as a new home that could cause the stress, or parasites. Do you know the origin or any history on your girl friends glider?

If the lone glider is truly stressed from being a lone, quick intros could also increase the stress.

Here's my advice.

Answer the questions above, if you can know for certain the lone glider is stressed due to being alone:
1. Take to vet for check up and fecal. Take your gliders to vet for check up and fecal.
2. Bring glider into your home in their own cage for pre-intro procedure. While following the 30 day quarantine is ideal, if the stress is indeed due to being lonely and severe, quarantine can be skipped, just be prepared for possible future vet visits and treatment. Introductions however, CAN NOT be rushed! You must follow procedures, there are various steps with variables, but steps need to be done progressively. I recommend finding 2 people with experience to act as "mentors", that's how I did it.

If you are not certain the lone glider is indeed stressed due to being alone, please follow these steps:
1. Take the lone glider to the vet for check up and fecal.
2. Give the new lone glider time to adjust and acclimate. Stress could be due to new diet, new location, possibly both. There are definitely new scents for the glider to adjust to, and gliders are highly scent oriented and so much is determined by scent for them.

Please keep us updated on how they're doing and what your findings are. Wish you best of luck.
Question
Feb 21 2017
05:16:04 AM
Hadi1397 Joey 12 Posts
Hi guys I have an update. So I found another guy that could take that sugar glider in (yaay!)

He will try to house her for some time and we will see how she will be doing in his place. I too hope that this is not the result of her being alone and depressed, but my friend is kind of an expert at having a sugar glider before so she should knows pretty well. Actually it was his little sister that wanted a glider. If it was herself, she would not bought only one glider.

Thank you so much guys for the helps and responses, I really appreciate it. I will give you an update if the glider is not doing well and if I might need help again.

Thank you!

Edited by - Hadi1397 on Feb 21 2017 05:18:06 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders