Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
URGENT NEED ADVICE WITH INJURED GLIDER
Health related
Feb 20 2017
01:33:41 PM
I am a new poster to this forum, and if i posted in the wrong place, I apologize.
Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this forum for awhile now, and read a lot of great information to get me started on my journey to sugar glider parenthood. I have had my two female sugar gliders for about 2 years now, and they are doing great, thanks to all the wonderful info I have found on these forums.

This weekend I went to go pick up a new addition to our family. His name is now "Snookie" ;)
I was told by his previous owner that he was being bullied by the males after she separated the males and females to stop them from breeding for awhile. (Red flag number one). She never told me he suffered any injuries. Just that he was being bullied.

After driving 2 hours to pick him up, we get there. She doesn't allow us in to the room where she keeps her gliders because she says "her room is a wreck" (2nd red flag)

She proceeds to transfer Snookie from his pouch to the one we brought for him. He escapes from the bag. With a cat in the same room. At one point, she tries to grab him by the tail (red flags all over the place)

So, at this point, I just want to get the heck out of her house.I see Snookie has a wound that is partially healed on his nose. She says that was from the gliders bullying him. At no point, does she mention any other injuries.

I get Snookie in the car for our 2 hour journey home. I take a peek at him and notice he has patches of fur that is much shorter as well as injuries to his tail.

As soon as I got him home, I wrapped his injured tail and put Triple Antibiotic Ointment as well as a tiny bit of Benzocaine to ease any pain.

Snookie is doing great, eating , drinking, and running around.But,upon further inspection of the wound today, it seems like it is turning necrotic. I am pretty sure it will have to be amputated.
I have tried the only 2 Animal Clinics I can find in my area that can treat sugar gliders, and they won't work with a payment plan.I have applied for care credit and I do nor qualify.Due to unforseen circumstancesrecently, I am all tapped out financially. Can someone please give me some advice or steer me in the direction of a qualified vet that may be able to work with me?
Let me add, his previous owner is supposed to be a breeder, and I already have plans on reporting her to the proper authorities.

Thank you in advance
Health related
Feb 20 2017
01:39:04 PM
Skyynkeywest Starting Member Visit Skyynkeywest's Photo Album 3 Posts
Sorry..I forget to tell you. My location is Kissimmee, Florida
Health related
Feb 20 2017
01:40:27 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
First, where are you located???

second, can you get pics of the facial injuries, body and tail injuries ??

third are you on facebook? if so please add me as communicating is much faster there. https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1
Health related
Feb 20 2017
03:07:29 PM
Skyynkeywest Starting Member Visit Skyynkeywest's Photo Album 3 Posts
Health related
Mar 03 2017
10:50:37 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I just wanted to update on this one because this glider and awesome ladies are semi local to me.

Snookie had a tail amputation 11 days ago, and today he went in for his follow up app. He had already removed his own stitches sometime last night and he is healing up beautifully.

These ladies are awesome, they followed the advice given to them and monitored his recovery very closely. Snookie is one lucky lil man to have them as his new owners.
Health related
Mar 03 2017
11:46:10 PM
wildfire0135 Joey Visit wildfire0135's Photo Album 20 Posts
What breeder was this?

I was considering a Joey for the glider we just adopted later on down the road, once he's comfortable with us.

I'm in the Daytona Beach area, I just want to know who to avoid.
Health related
Mar 03 2017
11:51:46 PM
I don't recall her name off the top of my head she's not well known or active in the glider groups , I will look back in or messages n find it in the morning n pm it to you. I know of a few awesome fla breeders if you' like some names to check out.

Also we have a Florida Glider Gathering here in Dover Sept 16th it's a educational gathering and a great place to network and socialize with other fla glider owners There are breeders in this group as well.https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653305761512723&ref=br_rs

Edited by - Leela on Mar 03 2017 11:52:30 PM
Health related
Mar 03 2017
11:55:44 PM
wildfire0135 Joey Visit wildfire0135's Photo Album 20 Posts
I had found someone in Mount Dora I think that had some but I wasn't sure how that breeder was with their fuzzybutts.

I joined the group - we will definitely consider making the trip if we can! It sounds like fun!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders