Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Before I buy a sugar glider.
Research Information
Feb 20 2017
11:10:20 PM
Evening/Afternoon/Good morning, I have been considering purchasing a sugar glider but I was confused after my mother has been going crazy over how they smell and bite through peoples gloves. So I decided to join this website to find out more information and learn more about these exotic animals. So I have a few questions about gliders, here they are. Please go into great detail about these questions. I don't want to make mistakes.

Question 1: Do they actually spray like a skunk?

Question 2: Do they bite really hard?

Question 3: How long does it take for a proper bond?

Question 4: I have school from 8:10 to 3:10 but soccer has changed the schedule to 8:10 to 5:30. Is it a good idea to buy one with this schedule. I am aware they are nocturnal but they do need play time.

Question 5: Do they really eat rats?!

Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate if I can get some replies within the next 3 days.

Sincerely -MathisRay Animations

Research Information
Feb 21 2017
01:13:26 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
1. basicly NO they do not spray like a skunk, BUT they do. Out of 10 gliders one of our new ones Pig Pen doesn't like to be picked up yet. So tonight I picked him up (he doesn't bite) and he gave off like a fart odor, or stinky pee odor. It usually only happens with a newer glider when you scare them and they are trying to defend themselves. its very rare, and its more like a stinky fart then a skunk.

2. gliders have big sharp front teeth, they can bite hard and deep.
1. GIZMO only bit for awhile young once he was bonded to my wife he would only give ME a nip (small pinch no blood bite.) but it is very rare.
2. LINK bite a little longer, but his bites mostly came from me picking him up, he would give me a quick bite. they went from harder bites to small nips to no biting over many months, we didn't give him the same bonding time gizmo got.
3. we pickup up BIG MAMA and SOPHIE they were NOT babies. Sophie has NEVER EVER EVER bite anyone, NEVER. she is a sweet people loving thing. we think MAMA was older, she did NOT like us, she would bite very hard it took some time but we worked her to just small slow nips, but she would always try to bite if she could.
4. RIGGS can give small nips mostly if you try to pick him up. scarface still not bonded and can give a small nip (no blood small bite) but mostly if you pick her up. GUS has never bit, even if I pick him up, sometimes he will hold on to cage real hard but NO BITE! Mary is our work in progress, she crabs, bites and is mean to her cage mates, we are having a hard time with her. she is very difficult.
Newbies PIG PEN, SWEET PEA do NOT bite, even though they dont know us that well, and cagemate Jasmine might bite, she crabs alot, but so far doesn't bite, I have trouble picking her up she is fast.
I can stick my hand in a pouch and only have to worry about mary and maybe scarface giving me a bite.

3. bonding depends on how much time you do it, the gliders personality, and what type of bonding you do. for a young baby maybe longer, for a older friendly glider...well sophie would be your pal in 5 minutes probably, right after she peed on you. for older glider that are unbonded probably longer

4. gliders like to run around and explore. getting them out of cage is very good for them.

5. At pet store you can get small frozen mice, we never have gotten one.
anything bigger then the glider is a predator to the glider and wants to eat it. (this is why bonding can take while, hard to convince some gliders your not going to eat it.) anything smaller then a glider is food for the glider.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 21 2017 01:20:06 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders