Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Where can I buy a sugar glider?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2017
12:35:44 PM
Good Evening,Morning,Afternoon everyone! I have been in search for sugar gliders and I have found a few near me but they are "to small to adopt" I understand that if they are still going through being "to small" and are still a baby. The place said they are going through development and will be ready within 3 weeks. I'm not trying to be impatient or anything. I am just really looking forward to having one before that time. So I had a few questions where I could purchase a baby glider.

Question 1: Is PocketGliders a mill breeder?

Question 2: Where can I purchase treats,cage accessories, a cage, and toys.

Question 3: How do I know if a website is a mill breeder?

Question 4: Why are mill breeders bad? Are they kept in bad shape?

Question 5: Whats the best reliable source to buy a glider?

Question 6: What materials should I use to build my own cage?

Question 7: I have school from 8:10am to 5:30pm most of the days. What times are the best to play with it?

Question 8: How do I make it bond with me? (I have found some Technics from ASGV but someone told me they're fake and they're mill breeders or something like that. And Mill breeders use them as a way to make them seem legit.

Thanks for your time if you answered some questions.

Sincerely *

MathisRay Animations
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2017
03:30:30 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
If the glider has proper papers and lineage it's most likely a reliable breeder. Mill breeders breed in bulk causing many issues like inbreeding no handling and adults are bred non stop. Among many other nasty things.
Unfortunately there is almost always a waiting list unless your willing to adopt or take in rehomes. Many people buy not knowing how much work and time they are so there's usually lots looking for homes.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2017
04:42:07 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
1. don't know.

2. I buy midwest critter nation cage off Amazon or the same cage called all living things at petsmart, whichever one is on sale when I need it. I get yogurt treats at exotic nutrition (but not a fan of that site). live mealworms from 2 local pet stores. freeze dried mealies from walmart. cereal from pro pets. toys from all over the place, cage accessories came with most of our gliders, but petstore has some that are ok, but online sites have some really good cage accesories.

3. I would suggest going to a local breeder that has babies OR just keep an eye out online. MANY MANY 1 year old gliders are no longer wanted and are available on craigslist. its a chance to save a poor little guy that might not be in the best home. Our gliders #3,4,5,6,7 and 8 came from craigslist and no one scammed us. our last 5 gliders came free, actually good owners that no longer could care for them or wanted to have them.

4. I think idea mainly is they are interested in pumping out gliders fast for a profit, not interested in the mental or physical health. I told my wife no breeding, but if we did it would be small time and we would care for the babies just as well as we do our adult gliders.

5. I would find a local breeder, one that has history and maybe references. And one that would be willing to answer followup questions.

6. I don't think building your own is cost effective, unless you are going big, then I see PVC with mesh (don't know what type).

7. our 3 colony wakes up at about 10pm. they in and out of pouch until morning.
our 7 colony is up at 11pm to midnight till about 7 am. So we usually take them down to playroom at about 10 pm for a few hours.

8. You don't MAKE it bond with you. The glider will learn that you are NOT a predator, you are NOT looking to eat it. As the trust builds it should WANT to be with you and hang out with you, specially if you have only one. some of ours like to sleep in daytime with us, others prefer to sleep in pouch with other gliders.

bonding pouch, hand in sleeping pouch, giving a few treats, sitting quietly in a glider proof room and letting your glider roam the room and explore without you being in its face (darker room is better.) read a book while glider roams, it takes time, may take many trips to room before glider starts to explore you.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 21 2017 04:48:01 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2017
05:38:53 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
1 No, Pocket Pets is not a mill breeder, Pocket Pets are a glider broker that get their gliders from different places and breeders.

2 Online glider vendors for cage accessories toys pouches, treats can be found at the grocery store or specialty items from glider vendors.

3. You won't know if a website is a mill breeder or reputable breeder unless you start getting active in the glider community to learn who the community thinks are reputable or aren't.

4, Mill breeders keep their gliders in some pretty bad conditions, little to no vet care or concern for the gliders well being.

5. Where ever you feel comfortable buying from. Some buy from well known breeders with good reputations even if they have to have the glider shipped, others buy locally even if it's not a well known reputable breeder.

6 it is more cost effective and safer to buy a cage in my opinion.

7 Depends on who you ask, and what works for your schedule and your gliders. I do most of my interacting with my gliders between 9 am and 9 pm. Others do night time play.

8 Time, patience, understanding, and lots of treats.

Gliders don't come with papers usually unless you live in Ga. They DO have lineage ( it is online not papers that are transferable ), however if you are not going to breed them lineage isn't that important. It IS Important if you are going to breed.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2017
09:56:31 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Where do you live? I know pocket pets goes around the country selling sugar gliders. I went to a home show in Seattle today and PP had a booth set up. Some people don't like them but that's where I got my first glider from and I had no regrets. There are also breeders in various places. With your schedule (and if your situation permits), I would look into getting 2 gliders so they have company. We usually have playtime in the evening when they seem most alert. Most pet stores have items for sugar gliders like treats, bird cages (1/2 inch bar spacing), and bird toys which work well for gliders (no rope though, as their feet/nails may get stuck). There are also websites that have a lot of items for sugar gliders like www.critterlove.com (great for treats and toys) and www.etsy.com/search?ref=auto4&as_prefix=sugar&q=sugar+glider&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US (love their bonding pouches and the ball pit is the biggest hit ever!!).
Wishing you the best in your search!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 22 2017
10:18:12 AM
GliderGirl415 Starting Member 7 Posts
I have had gotten some bad sugar gliders from pocket pets, but if I'm the only one, I guess you could try. But there are a lot of reliable websites and rescues that are dedicated to finding homes for sugar gliders. You can also buy a sugar glider on this website. Just Google "sugar glider rescues" or "sugar gliders for sale". I found a lot of websites with good reviews.
Hope you find a friend!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders