Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
2 gliders,.. 2 diff weights?
Food, Diet
Feb 22 2017
07:42:19 AM
Hiya all! I'm so confused right about now, and, have been, for a few months.. figured Id ask here, to see if can get any different insights.

Mom glider gave birth to a son,.. just about 2 yrs ago, give or take some months.. when he was right around 2-3 months, oop, I got him neutered.

He is insanely tame, and a VERY active little boy tho, with many hrs outside cage, daily, matter of fact, he is my daughters best friend - she is his ( and moms )main caregiver,.. shes wonderful at it too, very diligent...

That being said,.. herein lies the issue.. he, is terribly " pudgy " .. while his mom, is optimal glider size/weight,.. they eat the same foods.. she even gets fed, up to 10 mins ahead of time, before he is let back into cage to eat.

They both get same diet, fresh plus.. ah,. forget name of the diet, but, it is the one that u mix boiled eggs in with the baby food and wheat germ.. name escapes me at the moment.

I know their diet is on track,.. but,.. why on earth, is he so much bigger then his mum? - he has " moobs " too ( man boobs )... and no, my daughter isn't feeding them ANYTHING extra either,.. shes the one whos most concerned about this, which is whats prompted me to even write this.

Any advice or tips, would be appreciated, and, thank you, for taking the time to read this! ~ cheers!
Food, Diet
Feb 22 2017
08:09:05 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi Boogey!
I wish I knew the answer to your question because I have four gliders in the same cage with the same diet and two are chunkers with gloobs (glider boobs) one is normal and one is skinny. My biggest chunk plays more than any of the others!
Who knows! Maybe it's just how they are!
Food, Diet
Feb 22 2017
08:34:51 AM
Boogey Starting Member 2 Posts
LOL, KF,.. ty, for the reply! Gloobs was really fun term to learn xD

I'm glad to find, at least another, in the same situation... long live Gloobs! :)

Food, Diet
Feb 22 2017
09:04:32 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
LOLOLOL! I just learned gloobs from a Facebook group
Yeah my vet was mad at me because my one girl is so overweight but seriously I measure the one tablespoon fruits, one tablespoon vegetables each night per glider and there's always just a tiny bit left in the morning so nobody is starving yet they're all different sizes! Oh well! They are who they are! Gloobalicious!
Food, Diet
Feb 22 2017
11:27:16 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
How much do your gliders actually weigh?

glider boobs is not actually an indication of being overweight. The chest area is a safe place for their body to store extra fat in preparation for torpor. Some gliders will gain weight in the fall to get ready for colder temps.

Torpor is sort of like hibernation is for bears. Everything in the body slows down to an incredibly slow rate. The organs the breathing everything, to conserve energy. Some owners have actually thought their gliders were dead when they were in torpor state. When the glider is in this state they utilize the extra fat stored in their chest area to sustain them. If they don't have extra fat stored up and go into torpor there is a higher chance they will die.

Gliders in captivity are less likely to go into a torpor state because we regulate the temperature in our houses with heaters or furnaces. However, their bodies still prepare for it sometimes. It usually takes a very drastic drop in temp for a glider to go into torpor.

Not all gliders gear up for winter, out of my 9 I only have a couple with fluffy boobs, but I live in Fla.

for my nine the weights very, 70 gram to almost 200 grams with varying weights in between. The only one that is actually overweight for her body size is the 200 gram girl. the 200 gram girl is in the same cage as the 70 gram girl, and a 164 gram neut male and a 75 gram joey who is still growing. They are all fed the same thing at the same time.

The diet your feeding sounds like Bml.

Hope this helps explain some things. Don't stress over boobs

The UNSAFE place to store fat and what determines if a glider IS over weight is in the patagium ( membrane) if the patagium feels thick or lumpy there is fat storage there. If the membrane feels thin and smooth the glider is not over weight

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders